Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Heidy ho, sports fans. Not much of anything to report on today, but I felt I should write just the same. I neglected the blog yesterday and this stabbing pang of regret is most vexing. I imagine that pang would
intensify if I skipped posting today too.

So a recap of my weekend...as briefly as I can manage. ...
Saturday afternoon I had a mini spending spree...dropped a bit of moolah at Encore Books and then at Kohls. The Encore purchases may not even count as vice, as none of the books I bought were for me. I bought an armload of books for the muffins. Encore has a really, really great kids book section. At Kohl's I bought new jeans and new black pants (both such wardrobe staples, they were truly PRACTICAL purchases) a necklace and this terrific cardigan.. Aforementioned cardigan may not even look good on me, my internal jury is still out on that point, but I had to buy it just the same. I love the color ...this really nice, TAUPE. Y'all don't know how badly my wardrobe was needing a shot of taupe, okay? And aside from the fab hue, it's is so soft and cuddly... even more so than the hide of the Great Northern Snugglemarmet...THAT is how damned snuggly the thing is. Doubtless you want me to put on the cardigan and come hug you, but I am sorry, I just do not have the time nor the resources for a N American hugging tour. Maybe in 2008. We shall see...

Speaking of the chunky oversize cardigan...I was reading in Allure (okay... parenthetical aside: I DO NOT buy Allure magazine, my sister does. And it was in her bathroom. Within arm's length of the toilet. Really, I'm very susceptible to reading just about anything whilest enthroned. If it had been a Field & Stream I'd found there, I would be telling you now about Elk Migratory Patterns in Northern Saskatchewan. ) how that is a big trend for Fall. In my expert opinion, I think the chunky oversize cardigan should be classed as one of those timeless classics that are exempt from "trend " status. It is something greater than fashion that moves people to don big cuddly cardigans in the fall...it is human nature. Furthermore, I suspect it is coded in our DNA to want to wear big cuddly cardigans in the fall. Those who do NOT wear big cuddly cardigans in the fall can be divided into 2 categories. Category 1 non-cardiganners are suppressing their innate genetic need to put on a cardigan due to an inordinately slavish subservience to the fashion mores of the season. Category 2 non-cardiganners are not suppressing any compulsion to don a cardigan... because they are cyborgs.
As you may have surmised by now, I am a big fan of the snuggly oversize cardigan. I have bought 2 already this month. Booooyah!!!

Then Sat night a bunch of us went out to dinner and then went to a bar called Shenannigans to catch a band. It was the much hyped reunion of the Davis Bros Garage Band...according to the ubiquitous radio ads for the reunion gig, the Davis Bros "rocked the Upper Valley 20 yrs ago". So yyyeeeah..the band wasn't bad, exactly, I just should've prepared myself for a night of .38 Special and Foreigner covers. Not exactly my cup o' chamomille, let's just say. However, that is not to say I didn't enjoy myself. There's a particular charm to an evening out in a bar full of the older set. You can just relax, no worries about prowling or presentation, chill with your beer and laugh at all the folks on the dance floor with Cosby-esque moves.

And then Sunday was dinner at my sister's. Which seems to be the tradition after we've done it 5 wks in a row now. Very Rockwell of us. And I mean Norman, not Barry Gordy's son who sang that terrific "Somebody's Watchin' Me".

1 comment:

Kara said...

Just remember - Rockwell did have some help in the form of the artist formerly known as black - Michael Jackson.

I think I went to Shenanigan's in my just out of college, hoeing for locals days... It sounds familiar. However, when I went, it was 2000, hoochie dance club central so perhaps it's not one and the same.

Still not a fan of the White Stripes. If you don't know if someone is your sister or your wife then I can't even deal with you.