Saturday, September 30, 2006

Justice prevails


So I've been saying repeatedly that Alfonso Ribiero was the most spectacularly talented thang on the Celebrity Duets stage. Well, not sure that I said that verbatim, but that has been the gist of 4weeks of Celebrity Duets related blog blathering. And even though I knew he was the most deserving contestant, I was unsure whether he'd win or not. Even when he made it to the final 3, I was unsure. Because he was up against Lucy Lawless who has a fan base primarily comprised of sci-fi nerds and that is a particularly rabid sort of fan. And Hal Sparks has been promoting himself for a couple weeks as like a "dark horse candidate"...and that's lame, because if you're a true dark horse, or underdog, you just ARE and you can't be all aware of it and exploiting it. But my faith in justice is partially, somewhat, and in a small way restored because the right man won.
Yaaaaay! BIG hooray for Alfonso!!!

They had a lot of time to fill in the final episode, what with only 3 performers left, and consequently they wound up with scenarios like Wayne Brady singing with Boys II Men (as if that had anything to do with anything) and then all the Celeb Duets contestants singing a medley of David Foster songs (with Foster on piano). Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that Foster penned one of my all time favorite Chicago songs ("Hard to Say I'm Sorry"). Ah hell, I guess he can't be all that bad...
As for the Boys II Men performance...they went from "I'll Make Love to You" to "End of the Road" and I barely even noticed they changed songs. That is not a good thing, I don't think. I wish they woulda thrown a little "Motown Philly" in there, but they had Brady as guest singer and, great virtuoso though he is, I doubt he'd be able to keep up with those def jams, yo.

No comments: