Wednesday, October 18, 2006

some vittle chatter (slow news day)

I went over to my folks' last night for dinner. My dad cooked some ribs. These ribs --holy schnikey-- they were like the live-action equivalent of the cartoon ribs that toppled the Flinstones' car over. (Wilmaaaaa!)Ginormous. He said he bought them at BJ's but I suspect he made up that lie so as not to get in trouble with the game warden for shooting a Stegasaurus during doe season. I felt highly indelicate--primal even-- attacking such a meal. Like maybe I shoulda been squatting in the dirt wearing animal skins for the occasion. Probably the usage of utensils would have lessened that sense of devolution, but naaah. I'm not that big on utensils to begin with, and they are discouraged in traditional rib consumption protocol anyways. I mostly filled up on Brussels sprouts. I want to go on record proclaiming my intense & undying love for B-sprouts. They are so cute and delicious and good for you, but they get such a bad rap.

As is customary when I visit, I raided the parental fridge, made a tuna sami for today's lunch. I used a pita pocket that I was suspecting was going to be less than tasty as it had the consistency of tar paper. But the excellence of my tuna salad must've been contagious on contact because the pita sami ended up being pretty yummy. Forgive my boasting but I happen to hold a PhD in Tuna Salad Prepology. I make my tuna with mayo, scads of ground up garlic, a smidgeon of dill, a generous smattering of pepper and a wee tiny skoach of salt. Usually I like to add a li'l dash of lemon juice as well, but that wasn't on hand last night. That's a lot more ingredients than Food Network glamour puss Giada De Laurentiis uses to make tuna (I saw her do a tuna panini sammich on my first and last viewing of her insipid Everyday Italian show. Bah. Gimme Paula Dean anyday over that trollop) but she also uses CHUNK LIGHT tuna, otherwise known as the tuna that looks like catfood, so just how trustworthy is her culinary vision anyway?

No comments: