Thursday, July 31, 2008

LCS rants

I was a bit bummed at the outcome of tonight's Last Comic Standing. I've not been running my mouth off about it here, but I assure you I have been following this season devoutly. I never miss LCS!!

I'm really VERY disappointed that Sean Cullen is out of the running. I'll admit his set from the previous show (song about farmers) was weak, but overall I LOVE the guy. And I thought he killed tonight!! And then for Iliza Schlessin--whatevah making it into the finals. UGH. Soo disheartening. Her big improvement in this week's set was that she refrained from doing her patented funny walk-- oh you know that funny walk that you do in high heels when you're drunk, which , wow, looks amazingly IDENTICAL to the funny walk you do on a date when you slam your cooter into the corner of the table. DEJA VU all over again , biatch. So, no funny walks this week, but it seemed like she was both targeting and channeling the American frat boy demographic. I didn't laugh once. Nary a snicker. Her moving on is not only unjust (it was not right for the largely unfunny Jim Tavare to move on either, but I didn't mind so much because he seems like a nice enough fellah) but worse than that, I'm sure it solidifies her silly insistence on how AWESOME she is...according to her...baah.

I said "a bit bummed" because I found part of the voting results to be righteous. Adam Hunter was horrid and he was long overdue to get the boot. In fact, I can't believe he even beat some of the talented comics in the semis to get on the show in the first place (Dan "Squirrel-adore" Cummins springs to mind) He had this ugly misogynist undercurrent to his act, but was never funny enough to carry it off. His material wasn't very smart at all. His attempt to be au courant had him cracking MULTIPLE John-McCain-is-old jokes. John-McCain-is-old-jokes are even older than McCain-- it was tres pathetic. And his delivery was always lousy--all rapid fire and nervous and shouty.

I was kinda bummed (and shocked) to see Ron G eliminated. He didn't always make me laugh, but I thought his last set (last week's show) was terrif.

Marcus--eh. His impressions are very good, but I'll always feel like impressions are kinda like cheating. I am glad that he does stuff other than impressions, and some of his jokes do get me to chuckle...but I don't think he's really great enough to be the LAST COMIC STANDING.

Don't get me started on Jim Tavare. I can't be fully anti-Jim, as I am naturally inclined to root for a British accent, the guy's clearly a snappy dresser, and the show has shown him to be generous with his kitchen prowess. Also, I was charmed by his sweet familial tableau on the houseboat. But bottom line: guy is NOT funny. I saw him come out on stage with the bass and, tired of his gimmick after just a couple viewings, I was all, "Oh , he's doing THAT again?? Really? Hmm." But after he began firing off the lame jokes I actually found myself thinking "Play the damn bass already!"

I would be cool with either Jeff Dye or Louis Ramey winning. Louis, on tonight's show, was the funniest he's ever been. Ahhh, but Jeff Dye is a sweetie. His schtick about Guess Who? was the best . The way it spoke right to my inner child--it reminded me of Gary Gulman (probably the greatest LCS alum EVAH--definitely my fave) and his neverending reserves of cookie humor. So his material is clever, but probably his best advantage is his great stage presence-- relaxed, charismatic. He's that funny guy at the party (that you want to go home with).

Ohhh, but I miss Sean Cullen! Check out the knock-knock joke he offers up in his interview on the NBC site. That's some funny shit!! What guffaws that gave me!!

1 comment:

Kara said...

I haven't watched Last Comic Standing in quite a while (I honestly wasn't sure it was still on TV) but I agree that my favorite alum was Gary Gulman.. I've heard his cookie schtick a million times but it still cracks me up!