Wednesday, July 02, 2008

work blather

Seems indelicate to shift suddenly back to trivialities, but that is my specialty, so heeeere we go..
I use this thing (the 30526 model) daily at work and have grown inordinately fond of it. It's practically become like Milton's stapler to me, y'know? I can't believe that , in all my years of cubicle dwelling I've never come across an A>Z sorter such as this. Such a simple little dealie but so very handy!

Ah yes, I did have my interview at DHMC. I felt like it went quite well . I was feeling good coming outta there, thinking it went quite well as previously opined...but then I was reconsidering in the car and.. this is my FOURTH interview at DHMC. I'd thought they ALL went well. Ultimately I was vetoed for 2 of those jobs (and I still have one stuck in limbo...turns out that dept was slapped with a sudden hiring freeze due to budgetary constraints) In fact there was only one interview I came out of with a resounding sense of--"well I botched that one in good shape!!" I had strep , but went to the interview just the same, feeling drained and lousy, and I thought I stammered stupidly through the whole thing. Afterwards, I had to listen to Robin excitedly gush about how she had a really good feeling about the interview she just had that day (which was with DHMC Radiology...which she ultimately got) and I was very bitter about it. Well, as it happens, that lousy failure of an interview was with the VNA . So either the applicant pool vying for my present job was utterly AWFUL ('tis possible) or my perception of how I come across is really skewed (quite possible)

One question they asked Tuesday that invariably trips me up: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Perhaps interviewers can smell that that is my Achilles heel question, because they NEVER fail to ask me that.

What I answered: I said, (paraphrasing here)"To tell the truth, I don't know. I got a degree based on what my strengths are, but I didn't have a career in mind and I'm still trying to find my niche in life. And times are such that...I think it's hard for anyone to have a five year plan. I barely have a next week plan" Which, reading a paraphrased transcript, well it doesn't sound too awful, but to be accurate,I should also note that there was a good deal of nervous laughter interposed in there somewheres and I nervously kept saying "to be honest" and "truthfully" and "really" Consequently the interviewers response to aforesaid schpiel was basically just said she appreciated my candor. Oy vey. That's never good!! (otherwise I thought it went swimmingly)


In my fantasy job interview this is how I would answer "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

{puts fingertips on temples and squishes eyes shut, as if in clairvoyant trance} On July 2nd, 2013, I will be in Kmart. I go there to buy Diet Coke, but their price on the 24 packs isn't all that great. I wind up buying a magenta plastic flyswatter, InStyle magazine, and a box of Chicken-in-a-Biscuit crackers.

No comments: