Saturday, July 12, 2008

and Saturday I made a POULTICE

Back in my TDC days I would occasionally come to work sick/sickish, & it amused me to no end to command Robin (via IM usually) to make me a poultice. I would alternate this with demands that she "fetch me an elixir!" but it was the word "poultice" that really cracked me up (yet another instance of me cracking me up, y'know...) I don't suppose many are as inordinately amused by the word "poultice" as I am.
Anyways that memory crossed my mind today when I really in real-life had to make & apply an actual POULTICE. Come to find out, poultices exist for other reasons than my hypothetical amusement. For instance, if you are helping your father move wood, and upset a whole damn metropolis of yellow jackets that was dwelling under a pallet you just hefted...well then a baking soda poultice comes in handy for your subsequent multiple stings. Those f-ers. And OF COURSE ,I instinctively went with the absolute worst course of action. Well the running was probably wise, it was the flailing and the intense wigging out that didn't help matters. One of the bastards flew right into my eye..stung me just beneath it. I have to give my Dad credit..I think if I'd witnessed someone bleat and flail and run and holler and (the pièce de résistance) drop on to the lawn and rub my face on the grass (why did having a wasp in my eye cause me to do this? I cannot recall the rationale there, nor can I make sense of it in retrospect) I woulda been hard pressed not to laugh at them. I know, I know, I'm EVIL. I mean, of course I would've had the decency to ask them "are you OKAY???" prior to succumbing to hysterics. But yeah..I woulda laughed. Probably even now, even after it's happened to me.

No comments: