Saturday, July 12, 2008

WHEEEEE

I saw a sign in McD's today advertising the summer events at a ski resort somewhere. Obviously I was not reading really attentively, as I cannot now tell you which resort nor do I recall whether said forgotten resort was in VT or NH. What I do remember (this is why the sign transfixed me so) was that it featured a pic of a girl on an Alpine Slide. This got me to thinking about how I've not enjoyed an Alpine Slide since waaay back in high school (summer before junior yr when I journeyed to CO --to be precise)

Gosh, I miss the Alpine Slide.

Of course, this led to a bout of Alpine Slide themed 'net perusal. First I found out that the leading North American manufacturer of Alpine Slides is here in Vermont!! (these guys, in E Dorset)Well, that just makes me swell up with state pride (oh no, that's from the wasp stings...but truly I am proud) For some reason, I had it in my head that there was just ONE Alpine Slide. Like this definitive manufacturer that was the sole source for genuine Alpine Slide brand Alpine Slides. But that website's header "Leading North American Manufacturer!!" clearly implies that there are other North American Alpine Slide makers, and sort of hints that they're making 'em in other countries too. But this VT company has been making them since the 70s.. so it would seem they're no amateurs... So, still proud.

I wonder if it's really imperative that you be some sort of resort location in order to get one of these. I'm going to use that site's contact info and call them up. My side of the convo. would go something like: "Mmm yes. Hello... my name is Sandra and I am in need of an Alpine Slide installation at my residence. Of course. Well, you see, cost is no issue, my good man. Truly. I do pretty well... ah, let's forego the false modesty, shall we? I am ,like, OPRAH-RICH, folks. I require this slide by early June. No later than the tenth!!"

There was a surprising amount of Alpine Slide footage on YouTube. Wellll, I ought never be surprised to find something on YouTube, as there is an awful lot of everything on YouTube. What surprises me, really, is how there seems to be no safety regulations about going down the Alpine Slide one-handed, holding a camcorder. I mean, these resorts affect this semblance of concern, with all their yellow diamond-shape signs reading "SLOW!" or "Caution: Dip" and the like, but if they're letting so many of these yahoos ride and film simultaneously then probably rider safety is not all that imperative. Probably they don't care if you slide down the whole thing on your face.

Nevertheless, I'd quite like to seek out an Alpine Slide this summer.

Now behold what must be the alpiniest of all Alpine Slides. You can probably tell from the surroundings, but I'll tell ya anyways--this one's located in Zurich , Switzerland (in the ALPS) . Just lovely...


No comments: