Monday, September 17, 2007

Things about today...

Ok the BIG action in cubicleville today was our First Aid episode. We are making light of it this afternoon, but it was pretty scary as it was transpiring. I was sitting in my cubicle and I hear someone making this wheezy backed up pool filter noise. And I, tremendously helpful gal that I am, bellowed "What the HELL is that noise??" But shortly afterward I heard a small stampede trampling past and I get up to see what all the hubbub's about.

So I step into the doorway of Lisa's office and find Heather & Robin there, Robin about to commence with the Heimlich on a red faced, bulgey-eyed Lisa. And I say (continuing along in this tremendously helpful vein) "SHIT--Are you okay??" Well she was not okay, as it happens, she was choking. I don't know what she coulda been choking on--she wasn't eating anything, but drinking (Crystal Light, I think) But I have no doubt she WAS choking. It was quite frightening. Robin's Heimlich turned out to be pretty ineffectual, so Heather stepped in and she got it done. I am glad that Heather succeeded, well obviously, since I didn't want Lisa to DIE, but yours truly was on deck to have a go at it and I'm sure I would have utterly botched it. I mean, FAILURE sucks enough in general, but to fail at such a crucial effort...oy vey!

I'd really like to think I'm made of heroic stuff, good in a crisis and all that, but I don't know... If this episode is any indication (which really was a quasi-crisis; caught before it could hit full-on crisis status) than I got a LOT o' room for improvement on that front. I resolve to add it to my "Soul Renovations" checklist....

Less dramatic fact about today-- I pecked at a peculiar lunch of pistachios & gorgonzola cheese. It was delish. I believe it was mi amiga Heather set me off on a gorgonzola kick the other night. And I hadn't had pistachios in a long time...I had forgotten how much I adore them. More specifically, I got Everybody's Nuts pistachios (see pic below) and next time YOU make a pistachio purchase, you ought to buy the very same brand, because they are fan-fucking-tastic.




I stole this pic from their website. Mayhap I will email them and gush so profusely about how much I adore their Salt & Pepper 'stachios that they will have no choice but to send me some freebies.

I was raving aloud about them and that moved Robin to ask if I liked pistachio ice cream. To which I confessed that I have never had it. She thinks that I would like it, but I believe that I would not. I don't see how it naturally follows that just because I adore pistachios that I would adore pistachio ice cream. Some things are delicious just being what they are and when their flavor is grafted on to a whole other food the result is less than delicious... YUCKY , even. I like spaghetti and meatballs... would I then automatically like spaghetti & meatball cookies?? I think NOT! Ok, well a better example of this principle-- tasty buttered popcorn. Now, I quite enjoy tasty buttered popcorn (not so much if it be microwave popcorn) particularly when I take in a movie. But... buttered popcorn flavored jellybeans?? AN ABOMINATION!! Bleccch!

However, I would try pistachio ice cream (in accordance with my "don't-knock-it-'til-you-try-it" policy) but I can't see myself buying a whole pint just to try it. Because I think that I will NOT like it and then I will have wasted $3.99 or so. And thrown out ice cream which is even more criminal. But at the next ice cream shop I patronize that offers sample bites--if they have 'stachio flavor-- I will ask for a taste of it. But that may not be for a while, as I tend to patronize ice cream shops in the summer months.

Yeeeees, summer is OVER. I'm not crazy about this...but I am coming to terms with it. I am trying to find the positive aspects of this. I can slack off a bit on the leg shaving...that's a good thing. It's getting to be hooded sweatshirt weather (I am wearing one today actually) and though many a fashionista would condemn this assertion, I DO believe the hoodie maybe the world's most perfect garment.

No comments: