Tuesday, September 11, 2007

more movie jibba-jabba

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull... whewww! What a mouthful.


And, here we have an onset publicity photo, scrounged up on Yahoo!




There's been a lot of press on how fit and foxy Harrison Ford is and how capably he's donning the ol' whip & fedora...but I say...Indy-schmindy, how great is Karen Allen looking?? She's somewhat of an old broad, y'know, and looking better than she did in the 80s (albeit NOT in a scary-new-plastic-head-a la Kenny Rogers kind of way). On the other hand, I am NOT admiring Shia LeBeouf's icky upper lip catepillar!! Ewww. It does NOT make him look like any offspring of Indiana Jones. Nope, he's lookin' more like son-of-Schneider-from-"One Day at a Time" here.



Hey, I'm only tough on Shi-guy because I like him. Last night I finally got around to watching my newly purchased "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" and I was MUCHO impressed with Shia's acting. It's hard to reconcile in my mind the fact that this promising young actor is the very same dude I used to watch (only sporadically, mind you) in Even Stevens (but like, I said, that was sporadically...really VERY seldomly. HONEST!)

I liked "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" but the music in the flick kinda baffled me... The bulk of the action takes place in 1986 (with brief forays into the present) but the music was all from the 70s. It didn't REALLY bother me... I'm sure Dito Montiel had a good reason for picking what tunes he did. Maybe it's just honestly what he & his crew listened to. Just seemed a smidgeon incongruous, is all .
The one song in the movie that I really liked (and that seemed to have the right tone) was "New York Groove" which played during the end credits and when you were in the DVD menu. I was closely inspecting the credits so that I might discover who sings it. And then when I read it, I had to back up the DVD and let it scroll up the screen again, unsure that I really read what I thought I read: "performed by KISS" . Wha?? I like KISS alright, but that really surprised me. First off, I didn't think it was an old song...I had somehow got it into my head that it was a new song, possibly written for the movie/soundtrack. And it didn't have that KISS sound ...didn't rock as hard as they usually do or something. Sounded a bit like The Scissor Sisters or some group like that. Well, I did a bit o' research on it today and it is not quite a KISS song (it's a KISS bastard) Originally Ace Frehley did it on his 1978 solo outing and when KISS took Ace back into the fold, they absorbed "NY Groove" into their repertoire. Anyways... that's another KISS song on my "to download" queue (along with "Beth" & "I Was Made For Lovin' You")

No comments: