Wednesday, September 05, 2007

cheating

Yesterday, mi amiga Kara posted some film criticism. See said post below or go here.









Anyways I had to post a comment because it amused me that she brought up "The Lake House" when I was just chatting about that movie with a friend. So I began to type up my comment but then succumbed to a tangent (as I am apt to do) and as the comment grew and grew I thought " Shit, if I'm doing all this typing on Blogger anyways I may as well post a long overdue post" I've been a baaaad & negligent blogger. Had been meaning to do a recap of my vaca, and started to , but I got bored with that (probably because I've been verbally yammering on about it so much) and abandoned that post. But when & if I ever get my photos off my cam, I'll post 'em here--I promise. Anyways... decided to scrap my comment and recycle it into a post. A recycled comment post is not a brand spanky new post, but it's better than NOTHING.

So... my rebuttal to Kara's post (and quasi-related ramblings...)---


It's funny that you bring up "The Lake House", since just last night I gave meself an honest-to-goodness MIGRAINE trying to explain that chronological clusterfuck of a movie to Heather. I pretty much got the thing (yes "got" = bought...the context of last night's discussion was how H & I both have developed the wickedly frivolous habit of going into Hollywood Vid and always buying instead of renting) because Robin was telling me about it and I felt I just had to see it for myself in order to comprehend the premise. So I watched it, and it more or less made sense at the time, but then last night Heather was quizzing me on the logistics of the plot and I totally botched the telling of it... could NOT explain it at all whatsoever. The gist of what I told her was "AAAARRGH!" (whilest clutching noggin at the temples) Time travel movies always make me intellectually dizzy. All of them. Even "Back to the Future" (but don't get me wrong...I ADORE B2tF...the original, anyway ...the George-free sequels didn't do it for me)

I'm with you on V for Vendetta...very good movie. I have never sat thru all of "Less Than Zero" and that's on account of my HUGE anti-Andrew McCarthy prejudice. The issue is not that his surname reminds me of that blacklisting bastard Sen. Joe McCarthy (I got over that) but rather that he very whinily wrecked Ally Sheedy & Judd Nelson's relationship (St Elmo's Fire) and then proceeded to steal Andie away from the waaay more deserving Duckie, and THEN he fell in love with a slutty Kim Cattrall mannequin. And that last transgression was the worst of all, dude. "Mannequin" is just a horrid , cringe-inducing movie that I've always found to be totally unbearable. You have this film centered on this tremendous loser fetishist protagonist, and then (craptastic bonus!!) you get Meshach Taylor, flaming almost as brightly as he did on Designing Women. UUUGH. But "Less Than Zero" does have Robert Downey Jr going for it...I do like him. (loved him in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"--which is a TERRIF movie) And I've just purchased "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints", which I primarily bought for a Channing Tatum fix (yyyyummy) but RD Jr is in there too.

Oh and last night I watched "The Island". I'm not one for action flicks but I had a hankerin' to watch something with Ewan McGregor in it. I watched "Velvet Goldmine" last week which just left me with a residual "Gawd, I adore that Ewan McGregor!" feeling. Nothing like seeing a guy rock out with his c**k out (QUITE LITERALLY) to renew one's appreciation .... if you've ever watched "VG" then you KNOWS the scene in question... Good flick overall ("Velvet Goldmine" not "The Island") and it made me feel like my personal music library is quite lacking in the glam rock genre (it's lacking in country music too, but that's entirely intentional!!)
"The Island" was okay.... watchable...tolerable. Ewan was in fine form. Though I'm not much of an action flick fan, and I get the sense that in a month, I won't remember all that much about the movie.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I'm so happy I could motivate your post... It's been too long