Friday, September 21, 2007

Autumnal Equinox Mix

Bought some tuneage off of Puretracks last weekend and burned me a mix of songs last night. So, technically it was 3days too early to be an Autumnal Equinox Mix, but that's a far better title than what I actually scrawled across the disc in Sharpie- "9/20/07 ChupaFraggle Mix"

It's an odd mix..and I didn't even work in all 26 tracks I downloaded. Some of 'em (5th Dimension "Wedding Bell Blues" for example) I just couldn't make fit. As it is, it's a very mixed mix... cheezy oldies, current guilty pleasure pop , guitar riffy rockers... it's just all over the place (as am I, so I suppose it's apropos)

I'm listening to it now...and can't really conjur up anything noteworthy to write about ...
...therefore you're going to get a full track listing...

1. You Can't Sit Down/ The Dovells [ The Dovells are exaggerating a bit here. I actually have remained seated while listening to this song. It is difficult...but not impossible ]

2.Everyday /Buddy Holly &the Crickets

3.Tin Man / America [I dig the lyrics, but they are a smidge befuddling. I mean-"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man/that he didn't, didn't already have/ And cause never was the reason for the evening/ or the tropic of Sir Galahad" what the f*** is that all about? ]

4.She's Gone /Hall & Oates [this is used in Cherish so it always makes me think of that flick...]

5.New York Groove / Ace Frehley(KISS) [I attribute to this Ace Frehley with KISS credited parenthetically because this seems to me like such a departure from standard KISS fare. I don't think they would've conceived of this as a group. It took the brave solo endeavor of guitarist Ace Frehley to bring this gem about. Yeesh...a sentence like that makes me sound just like El Presidente of the Ace Frehley Fan Club or something...but honestly know jacksprat about the guy. But I love, LOVE, LOVE this song!]

6. Baby's on Fire / Velvet Goldmine Soundtrack [not sure I shoulda bought this one. I like it in Velvet Goldmine but without the visual of tasty Jonathan Rhys Meyers (as this glam-androgynous David Bowie type--but much foxier) singing it...eh. The song on its own is actually kinda SCARY.]

7.My Doorbell /White Stripes [I didn't download this one actually; it's from the 1 White Stripes CD I own and it was on the computer from some mix I made a while back. I was listening to it while ordering the track list and thought to meself "This song is so flippin' terrific! Lemme jam it in here somewheres..." ]

8.Deuce / KISS [This song has some truly rad guitar in it. I don't have much use for its lyrics
...although... the word "deuce" makes me think of poo. So that's a funny little bonus there]

9.Paralyzer / Finger Eleven [I am quite smitten with this song these days. Such a switcheroo from Finger Eleven's 1st breakout hit "One Thing". That song was ok...a tad wuss-ified... and in no way did it hint at the possibility of FE having the capacity for such awesomeness! Oh, the other day my friend Heather opined about how much she loathes this song and I was rather outraged. And in other Heathers-with-foolish-opinions news, my other friend Heather (yes, I have two. Fancy that) opined the other day that "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" was a stupid movie. And she didn't mean stupid-good sort of stupid. She kind of said it was a waste-of-time piece of crapola and I very nearly bounded over the cubicle wall and attacked her for it]

10.In the Mood/Robert Plant [I WOULD be El Presidente of the Robert Plant Fan Club....if I had any ambition at all]

11.Girlfriend / Avril Lavigne [A real rah-rah cheer song to wake one up after the mellow rock out that is "In the Mood" It wasn't a good transition there really. But --I am sheepish to confess--I dig this song and I wanted to burn it onto CD]

12.Flathead / the Fratellis [from a past download..I thought it would fit in well after a real rah-rah cheer song. Possibly to redeem myself/ prove that I can juxtapose tracks properly...]

13. 20th Century Boy / Velvet Goldmine Soundtrack [This one is NOT scary on its own. ]

14. I Was Made For Lovin' You /KISS [me gusto mucho mucho***awesome possum*** I was made for loving this song. ..sorry, that was unforgiveably corny ]

15. Abracadabra /Steve Miller Band [I believe die hard SteveMillerites consider this his big "sell out" song but it is MY favorite thing he does]

16. Spill the Wine / WAR [this acid trip of a song was how I discovered the Songfacts site. I wanted to know precisely which hallucinogen made these lyrics possible- "This really blew my mind, the fact that me,an overfed, long-haired leaping gnomeshould be the star of a Hollywood movie!!" Blew your mind is RIGHT, fellah!]

17. Brandy / Looking Glass [aaahh the sad saga of Brandy. That silly, stupid wench Brandy. I'm tearing up ]

18. Seasons in the Sun / Terry Jacks [Read the lyrics!! This is tied with "Dust in the Wind" for the title of Saddest Fucking Song EVER!!]

19. Suddenly I See /KT Tunstall [I imagine this song is about YOURS TRULY being all illuminating, gorgeous, and all that good stuff. Is that vain?]

20. Private Eyes / Hall & Oates [the quick, well-placed hand claps just make this song]

21.Glamorous /Fergie [Guilty pleasure. It irks me though, to hear them sing "If you ain't got no money take your broke BROKE home" Come ON! I want 'em to sing "ass". Just sing "ASS" people! It's not even a bona fide swear anymore!! ]

22.Honey / Moby [I downloaded this aaaages ago and forgot to burn it to a CD. It kinda makes me wanna jump double Dutch which is something I would never do...that would be just--just a CALAMITOUS spectacle to behold]

No comments: