Thursday, September 20, 2007

Insomnia

I learned today... I am much more "bright eyed & bushy tailed" at 7:30am when I have not gone to bed at all than I am waking up at 7:30am after a full night's sleep. Ahh well, that is a slight exaggeration. I did sleep some last night..but only about 4hrs. My chum Heather says that that’s all the slumber time she needs in a night….maybe I’m the same way and never realized. For years and years I’ve been getting an average of 7 hrs a night , so perhaps my body’s been storing the excess. And finally, last night, my body sez to me , “I reckon yer all tanked up on sleep, mate” (because sometimes my body talks with an Aussie accent, ok?)

It could be going to bed so damn early that discombobulated me. I had quite a nice night out with my friend Pam (& her friend Mary…who I suppose is now my friend once removed) but wasn’t out very late.. got home about 8:45pm and wasn’t really in the mood to watch telly or read…(Well, I was very briefly tempted to switch on the finale of Last Comic Standing, but after Laura kinda tipped me off that my boy Gerry Dee got eliminated, it just doesn't feel worthwhile any more) ..and I thought it was such a lovely evening, that I should end it on a high note and turn in early. Still, I browsed through magazines for about an hour, trying to scout out THE perfect hairstyle (I have a cut & color scheduled for tonight) I ended up actually “turning in” at 10 of 10—that, for me, is wicked early.

I fell asleep easily enough, but got up twice in the night to pee (odd…because it’s NOT as if I really tanked up—2 glasses of red wine and then an après din din Irish coffee but anywhoo..) and upon completing the second of those potty treks, the insomnia kicked in. Was lying in bed at 2:07 am and I could not sleep to save me life! I tried to force myself into slumber for about an hour and a half…no dice

This is what I did from 2:07 a.m. until 3:34am to try and combat my sleeplessness:
*Listened to opera
*Laid there lamenting about how UNGODLY BRIGHT the glow of my alarm clock is
*Picked a scab on my arm
*Admired how neat-o my silver nail polish looked in the glow of my alarm clock
*Some of my fave mind games --not like, manipulative, mess w/ other people’s heads type of mind games, I mean like mind games I use to occupy my mind when I try to fall asleep. This way I am less likely to start ruminating about my problems, y’see… I don't know if y'all ever do it, but take it from yours truly- thinking about one's problems is fucking depressing!
Anyways, as to the nature of these games… I first was casting the movie of the last book I read (“North and South”) which is something I always do— usually halfway through, sometimes immediately post- book. [TANGENT: Y’know there is actually a site for such a thing—Imagine Casting and what’s more, I actually created a free account on there and submitted a few casts for consideration. Lame , right? Second only to fan-fic in the pantheon of dorkiness. My casts aren’t on there, by the way, they remain “offline” until some fool site administrator deems them fit for public consumption. My casts have been under review for AAAAAGES. So-- cool (albeit dorky) idea, but I cannot really recommend the site.]

Another thing I do is try to link Actor A to Actor B in as few movies as possible -this is sort of an offshoot of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game, except I wouldn’t do that (using Kevin Bacon)because that’s rather played out and I don’t like Kevin Bacon all that much anyways. So for instance, I might link Clive Owen (yes, please!) to Ewan McGregor (yum!) going thusly:


Clive Owen was in Closer along with….
Natalie Portman
who was in some Star Wars prequel (I can’t be bothered to remember
their proper names, ‘kay?) with Ewan McGregor

Two movies-- that was an easy one.

And neither of these mind games succeeded in lulling me off to Snoozetown. So then I sort of did this Scattergories type thing in my head where I went through the alphabet and had to come up with some type of animal for each letter. Antelope, Badger, Capybara, Dingo,Elephant, etc. etc.& so on. Which sounds pretty basic, but I got stuck on the letter “N” believe it or not!! First I thought "nightengale" but rejected it, because I came up with that by thinking back to the inside covers of those Sweet Pickles books (and that felt like cheating) and then I was thinking of Norwegian Elkhound, but thought that was rather "splitting hairs" and thought I could do better. But I was really, truly stumped! On "N"!! So at this juncture the game started to aggravate me and said aggravation aggravated my existing insomnia. Great, huh??



*Thought about what I would do to fill in the time gap between my 6pm ETA in Windsor and my 6:45pm hair appointment


*took out my opera CD...nearly changed it to the Mary Poppins soundtrack (changed my mind on account of that being too upbeat for inducing slumber) nearly changed it to the Sound of Music soundtrack (but I could only locate disc 2 of a 2 disc set, y'see, and "Lonely Goatherd" was on disc 1 and I thought the omission of "Goatherd" would be too much of a bummer) and finally decided to switch to some spoken word CD rather than another music CD. So I put in Monty Python's Previous Record (yep, that's the name of it) which was mostly quite funny, which was probably a bad pick because I stayed up and listened to the whole thing. Especially amusing --after having dined out with this real wine afficianado type (Mary, not Pam)-- was listening to their Australian Table Wines bit. Love that...


So, at like 3:33 a.m. I finally gave in, resigned myself to NOT sleeping. I decided I would watch TV until it was time to prep for work.


First I watched Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle . I really dug it... though I suspect I would have enjoyed the profanity filled version more. Damn censors. Like anyone watching TBS at 3:30 in the morning is young & impressionable and /or needs to be guarded from cuss words. Whatev. I may have to buy that movie. Is it weird that I think both Harold & Kumar are cute? Harold especially. Lisa & I have this running gag that we are going to do some sort of White Castle pilgrimage of our own--see we were chatting one day about Sliders-- a phenom I have never experienced firsthand, sadly, I had just seen something on 'em on the Food Network the evening prior to said chat. Anyways , we both musta been hungry at the time because we were both practically salivating over how good they sounded (let the record show--we were NOT stoned!!) Well, watching the end of Harold & Kumar only exacerbated my hankerin' for Sliders...previously, I was only half-kidding about the whole Sandra & Lisa Go to White Castle scheme...now I'm only 1/4 kidding.


During commercials I flipped to AMC, which was playing West Side Story. I'd never seen it before, and was curious. I couldn't really get into it ...Harold & Kumar had won my heart first and I had to be prompt about flipping back to them (I was ) plus something about Natalie Wood doing a Puerto Rican accent irked the bejesus outta me. It's odd.. me, not being into West Side Story. I am usually such a musical junkie!!


And then after the movie, they were playing the oddest thang on Mtv & Vh1....videos!! I watched a whole slew of videos!! Here's the one for Maroon 5's latest (Wake-up Call) that I watched 3 times.






After 3 viewings, I still can't tell if that's Jeremy Sisto that gets shot or some no-name actor (not that Jeremy Sisto is any BIG name..) But that's unimportant. What I really came away from this video with was a keen desire to see Adam Levine starring in an action movie. And I don't even like action movies. Dude is HOT. Despite that scrawniness about him, the narrow head and mildly odd coiffure, I find him rather appealing. Oh yeah ..I dig the song too.


Also I saw a video for the first single off 50Cent's latest and the new Kanye. And thus far, I find myself on Team Fiddy, surprisingly. I would not have predicted that. I've always liked Kanye. Even with his sour grapey cry babyness about the VMAs, I still like him. But Fiddy's song had Justin Timberlake AND Timbaland. Kryptonite, baby! Great song and JT was in fiiiine form in the video! Although, oddly, his own video, for "Love Stoned" was way dull...it was much like listening to a song and watching the visualizations on Windows Media. Let's just say I was underwelmed. But back to the big Kanye vs. 50 debate...I want to just reiterate that I do like Mr West...more than anything I appreciate his recent valiant efforts to singlehandedly bring the Venetian blind shade back into fashion...



I've seen K-West sportin' these around town, and even in his "Stronger" video...and every time I see it, it is like a winking homage to my 1985 Halloween costume where I was aiming to be this way trippendicular Cyndi Lauper type and I wore 3 or 4 plastic charm necklaces, crimped hair, and a red pair of these shades. Kanye is giving me a shout out and he doesn't even know it!! (although he knows now...if he reads my blog)
And I saw this unmemorable Rhianna video, and I just remember thinking,"Oh, she IS rather adorable. I hope she is dating Shia LeBouef" And then I saw Ashley Tisdale (not last night on the telly...actually just a minute or so ago in my 'net meanderings) and she made me think "Oy does that broad grate on my nerves. She ought not smile that ubiquitous Ashley Tisdale smile...it makes her look like an utter twit." Also there was this Rooney video for "When Did Your Heart Go Missing" (good song, bland video) and a most impressive "An End has a Start" by Editors.
Sorry to prattle on about all that, but it was quite a treat to catch a glimpse of that majestic and elusive beast that is the music video.
Oh and there was this commercial that kept consistently cracking my shit up. It's a Comcast commercial with a huge talking tree frog. I fully intended to embed that here or at least link you but the ad was inexplicably absent from YouTube.
So TV starts sucking, I discovered, around 6:30 a.m....lots of Gunthy-Renker infomercial rubbish and news. Bleccch and NO THANKS. So about quarter of 7 I started to get ready for work...I had time for a shower, but I deliberately did not wash my hair (nope, not when it was going to drink up that high-qual SAlon shampoo when I went in for my cut) I went to Denny's and had a nice big breakfast and started to read I, Claudius. The Meat Lover's Breakfast was a great consolation after my insomnia ordeal--an array of breakfast meats (bacon, sausage & super yummy grilled ham slab) two eggs (done over easy) hash browns and instead of the standard buttermilk pancakes (call me loco, but I am NOT a pancake fan) I subbed an English muffin. And copius quantities of coffee, OF COURSE. MMMmmm--mmm! Tomorrow a.m. I shall go back to Kashi, but DAMN was that good!!

No comments: