Wednesday, September 26, 2007

grody to the max

Totally ignoring the news I should be tracking (presidential campaigns, Myanmar, the WAR, etc...) I tend to zero in on THIS type of story.

In fact, I so enjoyed this particular tale that I read it aloud to my office mates. I was particularly delighted by the whole familial rift subplot...I mean, imagine you're in this family and you have this oddball uncle/ cousin/ nephew who won't throw away his severed leg for mysterious "religious" reasons. I suppose we're all apt to have that "weird uncle"...but I can't fathom having that weird of an uncle.

Now, surprise severed leg stories do NOT make me gag (got quite a chortle out of it, really). But my lunch, on the other hand..BLEECCCCCH!!! I stopped at the Co-op last night and grabbed some eats-- their deli dept. has terrific take-out. Really unique fare...not your run-of-the-mill deli dept grub (potato salad, macaroni salad, etc.) Some of the stuff I'll get there: salmon & samosas, mini turkey meatloafs, quesadillas..(the list goes on & on)....a lot of good food. Anyways I grabbed , for today's lunch, three terriyaki beef skewers & about a half lb of broccolini. The skewers were yummy..had a really good marinade and seemed leaner (and perhaps of a better grade of meat) then I get from a Chinese restaurant. But the broccolini...EWWW. I'm not averse to my veggies, not at all, and I actually happen to be one of the minority that likes broccoli...but this stuff tasted like it was sauteed in CLOROX. Still, I forced about 5 of 'em down my gullet (resulting in horrible tortured sounds that I could not suppress from bursting from my larynx) and picked out all the mushrooms (those weren't quite so bad) trying to come away with what nutritional value I could.

1 comment:

Kara said...

If you watched Top Chef you would know that broccolini is just a bad choice...