Thursday, July 27, 2006

My hovercraft is FULL of EELS! (eek!)

Watching more MTV Hits last night and, upon seeing the vid for Justin Timberlakes' "Rock Your Body" I vowed that I MUST get that song on CD (or, alternately, download it when I buy my next slew of tunes from Puretracks). I feel like liking that song gives me a touch of the teenybopper 'N Sync fan stigma, but I can't deny it. It's the beatbox part that cinches it, man. Is it just me, or is there more beatbox in the video than on the radio version of the song?? Is that beatbox sound genuinely emanating from our JT there?? 'Cause that's some advanced Michael Winslow caliber styling there! And those of you who didn't catch that allusion (shame on you!) rent a Police Academy movie--any of them, because I believe Winslow's character is in all 700 Police Academy movies. THIS JUST IN.... I popped into the most exalted IMDB to see what Winslow's Police Academy character's name was (it's Larvell Jones, by the way. Larvell??? Ewww..does that not bring to mind imagery of insect gestation?) and learned that there is a Police Academy movie slated for 2007. That means either we (we = us , collectively, Western culture) have utterly run out of ideas or maybe it just means Guttenberg (yes, he IS starring) has utterly run out of options. Maybe he saw that he was right on the verge of being on The Surreal Life and, frightened of what twisted debauchery he might encounter there, HE started shopping Police Academy 901 to studios.
Anyways, back to the small screen....
The main event on the tube last night was Project Runway. Here is my synopsis of the thing. Well the whole challenge was a bit too gimmicky for my liking. So I kind of shared the attitude of that a**hole, Keith, although if I were in competition, I'd suck it up and deal (y'know, like Laura did). I still miss Malan, and have not chosen my new fave yet.
I seriously disagreed with the results of that text messaging poll! Laura's dog was NOT the cutest--Bradley's was. Speaking of Bradley, he seems like a swell chap and I'm glad he didn't get kicked off on his birthday. I wasn't really worried that he would be though. Even before the judges' inexplicable high praise for his ugly, dumpy ensemble,I knew he was safe since the show was SOOO focused on his struggling in particular. That's the PR formula, they zero in on one seemingly obvious choice for elimination--a "RED HERRING" and the actual eliminated designer at the show's end is invariably someone else. Manufacturing a shocking twist denoument, I guess. In ep.1 the red herring was Vincent, ep 2 it was the Vincent-Angela team... now Bradley. Anyways, I did like Bradley's designs in his audition tape, I hope he soon overcomes his time management issues and offers something worthwhile.

I really loved Uli's dress, but I do think Alison should have been picked the winner. I concur with one of the judges that she seemed to have "the vision". She really applied herself to the challenge. Uli might've made a great dress (she did--I loved it) but I guess I just couldn't picture her "she's a fun party girl who loves to shop" backstory. Pretty generic.

I don't know who exactly I thought should be booted, but I was sorta spitefully gratified to see Katherine booted. I'm still bummed about Malan's elimination, and he totally spared her from the judge's wrath, and I don't think she was suitably grateful for it. I'd hate for her to benefit from M's noble deeds. Like I said--spiteful (I know!)

Well, I gotta go get some eats. Maybe more rants later, I dunno....

No comments: