Sunday, July 23, 2006

It's PEEEEOPLE! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

OHHHH THE HORROR !!!

Yep, sorry to ruin the movie for anybody , but Soylent Green is people. And, incidentally, it looks like green Wheat Thins. So if the Wheat Thins people (Nabisco??) were to come out with Avocado Wheat Thins I'd be leery of them, I think. Generally I'm apt to try anything---y'all know I'm gaga for new products, really-- but no thank you sir! It just wouldn't feel right...

Again, I apologize for the spoiler. I'm normally not one to do that. Sure, I'll ruin your movie watching experience by interjecting sarcastic commentary wherever I deem it fitting (I was born to do Joel/Mike's job on MST3K) but I'll never give away the ending!! In this instance, however, I was only doing what I thought was best for you. I wanted to spare you the agony of watching Charleton Heston for 2hrs. I don't know why I did that today. . And this was my 2nd viewing of Solyent Green, and I recalled the big shocker ending with perfect clarity, so it's not like I was just hanging with the movie to see how it all turns out. So it's mystifying-- why I chose to park on AMC for the entirety of that flick.-- especially considering how I can't stand Charleton Heston. I dunno what it is about him. It's NOT because he's this rabid NRA guy. Tom Selleck is too, and I like HIM lots. Yeah, I think Magnum is just terrif, as is Quigley, and Peter the baby-lovin' architect. Although, I'm not all that keen on Selleck sans moustache. Go figure. I wonder-- does Heston have any roles in which he sports a thick, Magnummy 'stache?? Perhaps if I watched him in that
show/ movie, I'd find him tolerable. Ehhh, probably not. There's just something about C-Hes that rubs me the wrong way. He seems perpetually crabby, and also like he'd backhand ya sooner than look at ya.

The only explanation I can think of is this.... I watched Blade Runner the other night and maybe I'm embarking on a kick where I'm going to watch a big spate of movies set in the f***ed up future. Blade Runner, though, I LOVE. First off, Harrison Ford, back in his Han-Solo-heyday, was a fox. And Sean Young-- did she ever do anything that awesome in her career again? I thought it was so sad when Rachel found out...well, when she found out what she found out. And I liked Rutger Hauer's short speech on the roof "...all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." That was a moment, right there. But I won't tell you what transpired in that moment, 'cause, like I said, I am not in the habit of spoiling (worthwhile) movies. The best part about Blade Runner though, is the whole Blade Runner aesthetic. Blade Runner is the first movie I ever watched and came away really dazzled by the set design and the lighting, and all that. It was the first film that I appreciated film nerd style. Or I tried to anyway. I don't really have film nerd smarts (I'm just a wannabe!).
Gotta jet my pets...

No comments: