Monday, July 10, 2006

Manic Monday

Oy. It's that time of week again. Please forgive me for disputing The Wisdom Of THE BANGLES, but I must proclaim that "manic" is probably one of the worst adjectives to use to describe Mondays.
man·ic (mnk)
adj. Psychiatry
Relating to, affected by, or resembling mania.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ma·ni·a (mn-, mny)
n.
1. An excessively intense enthusiasm, interest, or desire; a craze

When my alarm goes off Mon a.m. and I have to drag my sad arse into this office....it's not exactly an "excessively intense enthusiasm" that's coursing through my veins. But I get it-- Suzie Hoffs is no Bob Dylan (personally I don't care for Bob Dylan, but he's supposed to be a good songwriter, yes?) and "Manic" gives you that terrif alliteration effect. "Monotonous Monday" mighta been closer to the truth, but doesn't work syllabically. Anyways, was feeling such a LACK of mania this a.m. that I slept right through our customary Monday morning departmental meeting. I didn't even attempt an explanation, I don't think I have it in me right now to fake like I didn't mean to...

Thanks to the In2TV web site I was able to achieve a truly impressive bit of multitasking the other night. I was browsing around the internet whilest watching an old episode of "Wonder Woman" Well I was impressed anyhow. It was one of those moments where you feel you are living out your 1950s ancestors' dream of 21st century space-age technology. So maybe we don't have the flying cars and robot maids just yet, but watching Wonder Woman and shopping on amazon.com simultaneously? That's still pretty damned impressive! Surely we are right on the verge of realizing the Jetsonian vision!!

In this Wonder Woman episode, Martin Mull played this corrupt rock star with a devoted legion of young lady fans that he had mesmerized/hypnotized WITH MAGIC FLUTE PLAYING into committing robberies. Perhaps the writing staff were acknowledging here what outlandish territory they were stuck in (and those writers were always stuck with outlandish premises...it was par for Wonder Woman course) and thought if they were even crazier, over-the-toppier, more ridiculous with their casting (Martin Mull as a rock idol? Hola Senor McFly??) that folks would get that they were being cute. On the other hand, these are the people that pegged Lyle Waggoner for a viable sex symbol soooo....maybe they are completely in earnest.
On an aesthetic note, the old WW episode moved me to muse over the Jeckyl & Hyde nature of 70s fashion. I mean, for men, it was polyestered Leisure Suit Hell, possibly the blackest fashion era since the powdered wig days. Conversely there was a lot of rad stuff going on in women's fashion-- think gold, and Halston, Studio 54. Also I'm a big fan of the softly sophisticated administrative professional vibe that Diana Prince had going on in her wardrobe. Examples--


On the left (although its not full-length shot) we have your basic shirt dress...a very plain style, but Di makes it look sharp, does she not? This photo on the right shows how if you're super pretty (ie: Lynda Carter circa 1977) you can pull off anything...GINORMOUS windshield-like glasses, for instance. Also, in this shot she is sporting the hairdo that best suits this 70s Soft Admin. Professional Style. So there you have it...Diana Prince is one of my personal fashion icons. Y'know, I've never actually contemplated who my personal fashion icons are and amassed an actual list. But consider this here the start of such a list. #1..DIANA PRINCE
Which is not to say that Wonder Woman is not a fashion icon....but she's a fashion icon for Amazonions ONLY (possibly drag queens too) The average Jane should NOT try and duplicate that look...

No comments: