Friday, July 07, 2006

inaugural blog

Once upon a time...I had a blog, and I neglected it, and allowed it to rot or get stale or develop whatever sort of ruin neglected blogs incur. I was going to pick up where I left off (autumn of '03, is when I left off I think) but I was reviewing the stuff from said blog and it was all really maudlin, soul searching stuff. I guess maybe I was journalling--Doogie Howser style? I dunno. It was probably therapeutic for me to purge all that dreck out, but oy! It was not fit for public consumption! A'right, a'right enough exposition stuff, I shall henceforth make with the promised trivial yammering...
I am always a smidge vexed when my TV /vegetation time is interrupted by any sort of fitness related commercial (diet plans, exercise equipment, etc etc) Slim Goodbody I'm not (I didn't make up that name, btw, kids. There IS such a guy) but it's kind of a low blow to address the issue when I'm in full-blown sloth mode, up to my elbows in a Doritos bag, y'know? So, my point--I dislike fitness advertising in general. However, in my mind there is a clear worst of the worst in that particular crop of crap. And the very worst would be any commercial featuring. . . .


I don't need to caption the photo...y'all know who this abomination is. Like the insipid FMS theme song tells ya "He's John Basedow..." Yeeeeah, those Fitness Made Simple commercials are the very horriblest of the lot. The only reason I mention it here is because...I can't exactly pinpoint why. I mean, I know it's Basedow that makes them particularly nightmarish...without him in them, they'd still be bad, but in a bland, forgettable way. There is something about this dude that makes my skin crawl. Problem is, I cannot articulate what renders him thus (skin crawl inducing). I don't like not being able to articulate something, having to be vague. But all I can definitively say about Basedow is that he emits some very unnerving je ne sais quoi and his head looks like it was Photo Shopped onto his body. I need someone to pitch in and explicate here on why this here guy is disturbing. Because if somebody out there can't do it...I'm going to have to diagnose meself with a bona fide phobia (a new rare one-- can't call it Basedowphobia because, well, EVERYBODY knows that a bona fide phobia's name has to have its basis in Latin. So yeah, help me by demystifying the creepy je ne sais quoi OR by volunteering some Latin know-how )
One final, unrelated kvetch before I leave y'all. I am consumed with wanting to possess Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" & "Living Loving Maid" but I don't want to buy the Led Zeppelin II CD. I already have Houses of the Holy and I've got 2 greatest hits CDs "Early Days" and "Latter Days" . I don't want to buy yet another LZ CD, it kind of irks me now how incomprehensive the "Early Days" & "Latter Days" compilations are (although it never occurred to me when I bought them) not only do they lack the 2 songs in question but they also don't include "Over the Hills and Far Away" which is my all-time fave and why I had to steal "Houses of the Holy" from my sister. There's the option of a complete boxed set, but I'm not enough of a spendthrift to go that route (the Led Zep box is over $100 last time I checked!) So I chose to download ...problem being, I can't find these songs anywhere online. I first tried Puretracks--due to how super user friendly that site is, it's become my online music purveyor of choice. After I had no luck there, I tried Napster. I was APPALLED to find there is no Led Zep to be found ANYWHERE on Napster. What kind of bushwa is that?? Instead they proffer Dread Zeppelin, some "tribute band". THAT DOES NOT CUT THE MUSICAL MUSTARD, NAPSTER BIG KAHUNAS! I REMAIN UNAPPEASED! I also checked Yahoo music and AOL music and came up empty handed. I had wanted to procure these tunes LEGALLY, but the more I fail in my quest and get frustrated, the less I give a rat's arse if I stoop to musical piracy or not.
Okay my homedonkeys, time for me to jet....

No comments: