Tuesday, July 25, 2006

bleu cheese vinagrette

I walked to Shaw's at lunch. It's just down at the end of the road, I should walk there everytime I go there at lunch..but I don't (lazy slug that I am). There was this really heinous stench of HOT peed-on garbage behind the building. Heeey, that could be the basis of the unorthodox diet I've been waiting for: walk to Shaw's everyday to buy lunch! I would get the exercise benefit of a daily 1/2 mile walk and then I would get so ill from the reek behind Shaw's that I'd hafta skip lunch. Nawwww that would never work. I'm not a squeamish gal...the stink mighta grossed me out, but I got over it rapidly. Well, I 'spose the 1/2 mile daily walk couldn't hurt me. Maybe I'll start doing it more often. I shall have to dress for it though...today I have on jeans, black flip-flops (flips are SUCH an office faux pas...but ask me if I give a rat's arse, eh?) a black tunic (it's an almost sheer thin linen,though, I'm not like one of those freakishly coldblooded dress-like-it's-winter-in-the-summer types) Anyways, it's warm out today, but nice-- not heat wave temps. But just the same, I really was putting my Ban antiperspirant to the test. I would've thought the trash & urine stank was emanating from my person, had it not been obviously dwelling in one specific region of Shaws' rear parking lot.
The condiment aisle in Shaws is the ninth wonder of the world. Ok, I may still be a bit heatstrokey and thereby prone to wild exaggerations, but still, that condiment aisle is damned impressive! The part I most covet is the fancy mustard section. I am not crazy about plain ol' dullsville yellow mustard (like, y'know French's) but gourmet mustard-- be it spicy, or sweet, or stoneground, or with CHAMPAGNE (champagne??? YES PLEASE) -- is the most exalted of all the condiments. I am a giant condiment fan...so for me to proclaim fancy mustard as the MOST EXALTED of the condiments...thatsa BIG deal, y'know. Anyways, I was not on a mustard mission today...I had gotten salad bar and none of the dressing packets at the salad bar appealed to me. Now in this uber condiment aisle, there is like 3 miles of different dressings. And out of all that wondrous variety of dressings I got....ITALIAN dressing. It's an odd choice for me. It's not like I don't like Italian, but I'm usually one to go in for somethin' a bit more exotic. But it was this new innovation in salad dressing (it's Wishbone brand) where the dressing comes in this spritzer bottle. And I thought "Jinkies!! Whatever will they think of next???" So during my awestruck appraisal of the dressing section (thanking capitalist America for granting me such a staggering variety of dressing options) I spotted : BLEU CHEESE VINAGRETTE. Does that sound as odd to y'all as it does to me? To me, that sounds like a selection from the Dr Moreau line of salad dressing. Hey, maybe I'm overstating how wrong it is, but there is no debating how wrong it looks. Bleu cheese vinagrette looks like dressing that is about 5 or 6 years past its "Use By" date.
The following are the components that comprised my salad:
*Romaine lettuce (I must say I was disappointed how Shaw's salad bar lettuce mix had too many lettuce "spines" in it and not enough of the leafy bits
*2 hard boiled eggs
*a smattering of slivered almonds
*lemon pepper tuna : this I did NOT get from the salad bar. The bar offered some mysterious grade Q tuna that looked like cat food... I got albacore Starkist in a pouch. Y'know, I dig the pouch tuna because I always lose a lot of the can tuna when I weed out the sketchy looking tuna. In a 6oz can, tuna companies are only legally obligated to put in 3.5 oz of actual tuna, although your premier brands--Starkist, Bumblebee, Chicken-of-the-Sea-- will give you 4oz. Anyways from a 4oz hunk of tuna (because I only buy premium, daaaahlings) I probably come away with only 3oz in my tuna salad because I remove any areas I see that are inordinately reddish, and I take out any grey veiny thingies... Anyways, packet tuna must have more stringent QC because I find far less objectionable looking bits in the packet variety. (TUNA TANGENT OVER)
*shredded purple cabbage
*carrot shreds
*cheese shreds
*mushrooms

Now WHY the hell did I break down my salad here? Not sure. You decide.....
A) I want you to marvel at my salad artistry
B) Slow news day
C) I want to marvel at my salad artistry
D) I want to repel and sicken any friends of mine who are staunchly ANTI-VEGETABLE (not that I know any weirdos like that)
E) I am such an obsessive shopper that I'm compelled to itemize all purchases, even the most banal ones. If that's the case then--in the interest of thoroughness-- I also bought Wishbone spray-on Italian dressing, a 2 liter bottle of Coke, pads, and 2 Chocolate-PB Crunch Clif bars (which I find make a damn fine quickie breakfast)

Today I started training to do customer service for the Stoody product line which is coated rod electrodes, loose boron, MIG Welding wire, crap like that. And it really irks me that there is not a single damn part number in all the literature, NO WAY, instead we have to train to become intermediate g.damn metallurgists in order to scrounge up a part # for what the callers want. Oy. It does not help that Frank, the trainer guy, is drier than a popcorn fart (as they say...and apparently that charming little idiom is quite popular in the Great Lakes region of the U.S.) To be fair, it probably doesn't help trainerguy Frank that I am all punchy and giggly and jokey. But y'know, it's not because I want to be insolent, Frankie, I'm just trying to friggen' stay awake!!!
Well, adios until my next post ya boron hodags!!

1 comment:

Kara said...

I am that anti-vegetable weirdo your mom warned you about