Saturday, April 04, 2009

Last night I was running laptops back to our Randolph & Woodstock branches and after my last delivery, I stopped at Maplefield's in Woodstock. I find a lot of enjoyment (possibly an inordinate amount) in a high quality convenience store. You know, something with extensive & diverse stock that is laid out nicely & well executed. And Big Gulps ...there must be Big Gulps available. I LOOOVE ginormous fountain sodas. Quick soda tangent here... have you noticed ('cause I surely have) how if you get a soda at a small "mom & pop" type restaurant, 9 times out of 10 you get a beverage with a disappointing syrup-carbonation ratio? Most frequently, the result is a drink that's a little warmish and a lot flat. That 9-times-outta-10 might be an underestimate, really. It seems I'm always disappointed with my soda in non-franchise restaurants. Now, fast food joints-- blackhearted lard-peddlers though they may be, they always have their carbonation-syrup ratio shit together, I gotta give 'em that. See, that's why the Big Gulp is so rad-- it's the premium quality soda you get from a fast food restaurant without the temptation of getting a friggin' BACONATOR.

But before this soda rant, I was raving about convenience stores, si? There's a pretty decent convenience store in Springfield, VT that I always find an excuse to stop at whenever I hit that berg. It was a Blue Canoe but I believe it was bought out by Circle K, but I still call it the Blue Canoe, just because I'm used to calling it the Blue Canoe, since I have for years now. I actually rather like the notion of going to a Circle K, on account of Circle K's affiliation with Bill & Ted (and their Excellent Adventure... however, I don't recall any Circle K involved when they made their Bogus Journey ..) but nevertheless, I continue to say "the Blue Canoe".
Now, Maplefields is even better than the Circle K Canoe. It's got a pizzeria/sub shop in there, a big wine selection, and beaucoup baked goods. Plus they did the interior with these nice hardwood floors and exposed brick walls. I kind of wanted to move in.

I really like to provide some sort of link when I rave about something (as a sort of: "click here for corroborating evidence!") And I thought I might find a Maplefield's website because it is a regional franchise (albeit a little one). But no dice. An interesting thing I discovered though, whilest scrounging about for an online HQ for Maplefields, there is such a thing as MAPLE SYRUP URINE DISEASE. I know, I know...another thing to worry about!! Look, if your urine reeks of piss (and not Mrs Butterworth) then you're probably fine.

No comments: