Thursday, April 09, 2009

Brussels Sprouts

I made the yummiest ever Brussels Sprouts last night. I am going to try to recreate 'em for Easter dinner. I was sauteeing them in olive oil, with beaucoup pepper & a smattering of sea salt & parsley garlic salt. But then I quit with the sauteeing--mainly because I got bored with standing there at the stove (SLAVING over a hot stove, don'tcha know) so then I dumped 'em in my microwave steamer and steamed them for 8 minutes (about 3 min less than I would zap raw veggies). They were magnifico!! I'm surprised that I had leftovers for my lunch today!

Is cabbage (I believe brussels are closely related to the cabbage..after all, they look like wee mini cabbages) known to give people gas? After lunch , I was at Larry's desk (which is in the supply room..thankfully quarantined off from the rest of the office population) working on a project on his computer (it sorta baffles me how L has made his way up in the ranks while being such a total noob when it comes to computers. I suppose he has his strengths... not that I can come up with any presently..) and I was maaad gaseous. Let the record show that I was alone in the supply room--in other words, sans witness(es). Still, I kept imagining the fumes were being absorbed into Larry's chair. Doubtful that he would notice though...that room smells like sweat.

Today they gave away office furniture. On account o' that giveaway, I drove my Dad's truck in to work. I have to confess...I felt kind of superior driving that rig around. Probably to most folk it wouldn't have been such a big whoop, but when your everyday mode of transport is a total SHITmobile, you really feel the difference.

Two of our office's clinical managers are leaving. Tonight there was a little goodbye soiree for one of 'em (Bridgette) at the bar next door to the office. At Deb's request , I designed e-invites for a goodbye potluck lunch (noon tomorrow), and decorated the T-shirt that the office signed for her (Deb wanted the word "hag" on the front--little managerial inside joke there-- but in some decorative way and she had no confidence in her artistic skills. Whereas I was pretty cocky about mine...and had to go run my big yapper about it) and then at 3pm she's like "Oh we never got Bridge a card...can you doodle something with a Sharpie and we'll photocopy it onto cardstock and all sign it??" So I did--even though I was in the middle of another project and preoccupied with my chronic farting fits. But then I didn't even get to sign the blasted card (though I did sign the tee) and couldn't even go out to the soiree. I was invited, but I had a truck full of office furniture and less than $10 in my checking account (that latter had more to do with my nonattendance than the other, methinks) But if Deb had insisted on buying me a drink for being such a sport and such a crafty bitch (oh, that should net me two drinks, don't you think?) as she obviously should have done, then I would've popped in & hung out for an hour. So yes...I'm mildly peeved with someone for not volunteering a voluntary goodwill gesture that I subjectively feel would've been gracious & apt (and it just so happens it would come in handy...financially). I realize that's whack of me.

But I do hope Bridgette has a swell time...and digs her T-shirt. It came out faaabulously, if I do say so meself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comment about fumes in your co-worker's office reminds me of walking into the ladies room here at work. Ya walk in just after someone's taken a dump, and the smell almost knocks you down. As you leave someone else walks in and no doubt thinks it was you that caused that funk...

Anonymous said...

Cabbage = Gas

Sandra said...

In our office,we have a single seater bathrooms, so you don't even have other stalls (those that you didn't use) to act as stink scapegoats for you. It's rather embarrassing to get caught stinking up the bathroom, but somehow I find it waaay more embarrassing to be framed, as it were, for someone else's stink... that's the worst.