Monday, April 16, 2007

trivial nattering

Considering the horrible happenings in VA today it seems,well..trivial, to yammer on about movies & music and this forum's usual lite fare, but really I must. My office mates & I were talking about the Virginia Tech massacre all day today and if I dwell on it any more, I swear, I dunno, I am going to freak and do something rash. Scared rash , not scary rash, mind you...like I may very well start up construction on a panic room and never leave home. Add some kevlar to my wardrobe perhaps...

Sorry I neglected my posting duties on Friday, although I feel certain I would've just tapped out some uninspired blah-dee blah about it being Thomas Jefferson's birthday (it was, though you probably didn't realize on account of everybody blah-dee blahing about it being Friday the 13th) So probably you didn't miss much.

I had a swell visit with my amiga Jill on Saturday. I should say a swell long overdue visit. I hadn't seen her since late October --too damn long. They say "absence makes the heart grow fonder". And it's true-- I was so chockablock with fondness for Jillypants that, that... well, I have since noticed some seams on my person** that are in disrepair. I know that's no coincidence! So I caution you to NOT test the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" adage...you may harm yourself!!

We went to the big pet store across from where I work. It musta been YEARS since I'd been in there. I guess that's partly because it makes me a smidge sad to visit all the cutesywootsy schmoopy puppies and then not buy one. And also I kind of forget it's there so I never think to go there. I know that sounds rather flakey, but it's true. (Me? Flakey? I know it's tough to imagine..) Anyways, the pet shop was rad and I successfully refrained from buying a dog. They were all cutesywootsies though...if only I'd had a spare grand handy..

I was ever so slightly traumatized by the bird and rat room. Ewwww. The rats were NAAASTY little pukes...not even remotely cutesywootsie. But at least the rats were in cages. They had these free range macaws flying around totally unfettered. And those fuckers have beaks like
g-d sabres!! I mean birds make me uneasy in general, but those macaws are LEGITIMATELY scary...did I mention their wicked looking talons? No I did not. Well they have wicked looking talons in addition to their horribly sharp beezers. Damn their lovely plumage!! Lovely EVIL plumage. While you are dazzled by their array of vibrant colors they will take advantage of your dazzlement and pop one of your enchanted eyeballs like it's a grape tomato! Well, I've never actually seen a macaw do that...but I wouldn't put it past 'em. I got freaked out and had to leave the bird room when 2 of 'em started fighting over a scrap of paper towel. Jill very graciously bolted along with me... although she fears no bird (brave, brave girl)

But y'know, (and I realize, at this juncture, that I've blathered on about birds for too damn long) what if I was NOT afraid of birds, and I was generally aware of the presence of the Pet & Aquarium Center and made frequent visits and furthermore I even enjoyed wiling away a goodly part of these visits in the bird and rat room. But FURTHER SUPPOSE that I had a case of the sniffles during one of my visits --not improbable considering the fucky climate here in the northeast. So picture it--- I'm in the bird room (we'll leave the poor gross rats outta this) innocently mopping up some nasal drippings with a Kleenex. A DEVIL-MACAW spies that, thinks "Hey, I love me some paper towels! That there looks paper towel-esque..." and proceeds to slash a 2" deep swathe across my cheek with its awful sabre-beak as he steals my snotty Kleenex!! Do you not think the pet store should have some sort of signage up??

Bird rant OVER...

I picked up some previewed movies at Hollywood Video--it was not a total binge, as 3 of the 4 movies were for a birthday present (went to a surprise 60th party for my Uncle George on Sunday) and it was a FAAAABULOUS bargain. If there's one thing I like better than a bargain, it's a FAAABULOUS bargain. Magnificent bargains are also a pleasant experience.

Here's what I bought--

For Uncle G-money-- Miami Vice (that TV show was his absolute fave)
Snakes on a Plane (not to be insulting, but I think that whole mindless
action genre is really his fave and I presume Snakes is probably the
penultimate film craptacular in said genre)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (this is sort of a compromise...G also likes detec- tive movies--second only to the mindless action flicks-- and this fits that
bill. Except I've heard good things about this one and have been wanting to
see it. I was going for buddy cop flick done with wit and style...I think
that's this movie. I had to put my own personal stamp on the gift and, well
Snakes on a Plane & Miami Vice...sooo not me (cinematically speaking)
Don't get me wrong, I DO think my uncle will like it...the DVD case was
emblazoned with "from the creators of Lethal Weapon" so that is a definite
sign that I chose well.

And for yours truly I bought Stranger Than Fiction . I just watched it last night and it was a kick arse movie. Am very pleased to add it to my out-of-control DVD library. It's funny and moving. I'm sorry-- "moving" is such a weak and vague descriptive. But near the end ...when I *thought* things were not going to turn out like I wanted 'em to... I was incontrollably talking to the movie. Not directions or anything, just uttering a sporadic, pained, "Nooo..." "Oooh no!" And really, I don't usually do that. Well, everyone who knows me knows I'm prone to talking throughout a movie...but it's not usually talk of that nature. Sarcastic commentary is more my M.O.

Gosh! I nearly forgot to tell you the price ( the low, low cost that got this purchase the coveted "FAAAABULOUS Bargain" rating) !! 4 movies for $27. Not too shabby.

Well, I gotsta jet dearies. More tomorrow...

**That's right, when I say "my person" that is synonymous with "ME". At this point in my life, I own no other person , no manservant or slave or boyfriend or pet imbecile or anything, sadly. Waah. I'm saving up for a li'l mail-order somethin' -somethin' but don't get your hopes up on my behalf (history has shown me to be utter crap at saving $$ )

No comments: