Thursday, April 12, 2007

mucho violets next month!!!



Though April showers may come your way




They bring the flowers that bloom in May




So if it's snowing, have no regrets




Because it isn't snowing snow, you know(It's snowing violets)




Can you believe this weather?? I'm trying to look on the bright side of this freakish precipitation...aside from the greater influx of violets due to us now(if the old song is to be believed ...and also applies to snow & sleet), I suppose this means I can further procrastinate on shaving my legs. Aaaaand...well, that's all I got. Pollyanna I'm not, but I try.


Discovered another artist of interest while perusing the 'net the other day. The guy's name is Augustus Egg. How adorable is that moniker? Well, ok, it's Augustus Leopold Egg, if you wanna be all formal about it. So I'm thinking, this guy has a real eccentric Dickens character sort of name...and then I discover that Mr Egg was actually friends with Charles Dickens. Well my, my, MY! It's a small Victorian England world after all, ain't it? Check out the Tate Gallery's schpiel on Egg's triptych titled Past and Present(No. 1, 2, &3)


One of Egg's less literary (and more dangerously insane) friends was fellow painter Richard Dadd. Who painted this highly detailed work called The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke.
Richard Dadd also was crazy ( many retro-diagnose him as a schizophrenic ) and at 27 yrs old, stabbed his father to death and later took a razor blade to some random stranger during his trip to France (when trying to escape post-patricide).
It puts a whole new layer of intrigue on his work to know that the bulk of it (including The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke) was painted while he was an inmate in Bethlehem Asylum (popularly called Bedlam)

Sorry..I know that's rather grim. But that sort of thing snags my interest from time to time. I should have brought up Dadd first and then moved on to the cutely-named Augustus Egg. I hate to wrap things up on such a down note.


No comments: