Tuesday, April 17, 2007

stuff i LOVE

"Rebel Yell" came on the radio on my way home last night and I was SO stoked. If I could do a celebratory wheelie with my Taurus, I would've. I know I've raved before about the terrificness of "Rebel Yell" but it merits the repetition, a'ight? And I cannot reiterate enough how terrif Billy Idol is. He is one awesome possum. To really quantify how much I adore him, lemme put it this way: if I got invited to Billy Idol's house but was forewarned that he had pet devil-macaws flying free about the place...I WOULD STILL GO. Yeah, that's how much.

Conversely, a song that I HATE to hear come on the radio is "Smack That" by Akon. I always switch stations with an inordinate vehemence... sometimes uttering a disgusted "Uuuugh" while I do so. Now for the most part, "Smack That" is crap in a very run-of-the-mill way, and usually I am merely indifferent to such music but there is one line that compels me to actively HATE the song. Early in the song he sings "Maybe go to my place and just kick it like Taebo". Gee, that would be a VERY au courant reference 7 or 8 years ago. I really hate that line..it grates on my nerves.

Ok, back to "stuff i LOVE" (in keeping with my post title)... AMC was playing "Fletch" last night. Now, I was committed to watching "Thank God You're Here" but I couldn't help flipping back to 'Fletch" on every commercial break. Y'know I have to check IMDB to see if "Fletch" is on the AFI's Greatest Comedies list or something of that nature. If not, then that is a GINORMOUS OVERSIGHT and I will launch a fierce letter writing campaign immediately! Yes, I love Fletch. I love Chevy Chase (he was my favorite amigo of "The Three Amigos", incidentally) Some of the best bits I caught last night...

Stanwyck: You'll be wearing rubber gloves. Do you own rubber gloves?
FLETCH: I rent 'em. I have a lease with an option to buy.
HAA HA HA HAA HAAA!!

Receptionist: May I help you Dr...?
FLETCH: Oh, it's me, Dr. Rosenpenis. I'm just here to check out Alan Stanwyk's file.
Receptionist: Dr. who?
FLETCH: Dr. Rosenrosen, I'm here to get to the records room.

HAAA, HA, HAAA!

doc: Now, how long have you had these pains, Mr. Barber?
FLETCH: No, that's "Babar"
doc: Two B's?
FLETCH: One B. B-A-B-A-R.
Doc: That's two.
FLETCH: Yeah, but not right next to each other. I thought that's what you meant.
Doc: Arnold Babar. Isn't there a children's book about an elephant named Babar?
FLETCH; I don't know. I don't have any.
Doc: No children?
FLETCH: No elephant books.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I think that bit is my absolute fave

Okay, forgive me... dialogue quoting is just the lowest form of gushing, I realize that. I adore that movie so much that I'm just reduced to being Chris Farley hosting the Chris Farley Show. (Remember that skit? Yeeeah, that was funny)

Here is something that really burns my arse about Fletch (because, apparently, I am unable to keep things on a positive note). Well, it's not about 1985 Fletch (which is utter perfection) but rather with this piece of sheizer "Fletch Won" prequel that's been in pre-development limbo forever. Yes, I can unreservedly prejudge "Fletch Won" as a complete waste of film even before it starts shooting and this is why.... early on in the planning stages of the flick, Jason Lee was going to play Fletch . Now that was divinely inspired casting, just brilliant. Jason Lee is THE perfect Fletch. And once that notion was planted in my head, I became completely incapable of imagining any other actor as Fletch. There just simply isn't any other actor that can do it justice! SO. Imagine my vexation when J-Lee was pulled off the project !!! And even WORSE, you know who has all but sealed the deal to play Fletch now? ZACH BRAFF. You have GOT to be kidding me. You know what ZB would be ideal for?? If, instead of a prequel, they just straight-up remade Fletch...Braff would be really good as the dude in the convertible with Fletch (played by Jason Lee, of course) in this scene.

Lest I wrap things up on a down note, let me share this bit of hilarity that I stumbled upon during today's web meanderings. I don't know why Will Ferrell continually insists in growing out his hair into a 'fro ( I hate it) but aside from that minor coiff quibble, I just loved this short.

No comments: