Thursday, January 04, 2007

My 100th post! YAAAAAY ME!

Damn, with a little foresight & planning I could have had a celebratory cake on hand for this occasion. But no dice (or rather, CAKE) as foresight & planning are not exactly-nor have they ever been--my "bag". Aaah well, I suppose it's just as well since celebratory cake doesn't really jive well with my New Year's Resolution to shed some LBs...to really for real do it this year. So I'm insteading consuming a Dole Pineapples & Creme Fruit Parfait. I'm sure this is a healthier option than "Congrats on your 100th Post" cake, and yet I am suspicious of the nutritional value of this quasi-gelatinous goo these pineapples are suspended in. Tastes ok though. Especially the cream part--no, sorry the creme. I think because it's spelled thusly on the lid here, that means it was imported from France.

In my recent web meanderings, I stumbled onto this very rad website. Methinks I'll make this one a fixture on my Links sidebar --that's how neat-o I think it is. Although y'know the pressure to convert from Old Blogger to NEW Blogger is getting intense....so when I inevitably cave in and change over...well will I even have links anymore? Will I have to re-do that sidebar? I am determined to keep on wondering...at least for a while longer. The more Blogger nags me to switch to the new, TREMENDOUSLY IMPROVED Blogger, the more I'm inclined to "dig in my heels". Oh, but I suppose I will convert eventually.

Mi amiga Kara has converted...thereby abandoning me here in Obsoleteville. (waaah)I did like her new li'l "Personal Info Sidebar", particularly right at the top corner,where it informs you as to "What I'm Reading Now". I'm curious...does the blog dashboard prompt you to update that section? 'Cause if it's just part of the template, I could see how that could very easily be forgotten about & neglected. And how embarrassing...to have on there for 8 months or a year or what have you to say that you are reading, still reading, and stiiiiiill reading "Cell" by Stephen King. People will begin to suspect you're slow or something....

In case you're wondering what I'm reading. I just finished up an Iris Murdoch novel "The Nice and the Good" This is the 3rd Murdoch novel I've read...she is getting to be one of my faves. Although I once started to read (the book she wrote just prior to "The Nice& the Good") "The Time of the Angels" and I could NOT , for the life o' me, get into it. I was reading on Amazon what people thought of the book I'd just finished.... I do that often... I don't like to get overly influenced by other's reviews, so I wait until I'm well entrenched in a book ..or in this case, I held off until I was done. Everyone who wrote praising "The Nice and the Good" prattled on so profoundly--as if it revised their whole core philosophy or something. And y'know those psychological/philosophical motifs in the book didn't utterly elude me, but what pulled me into the book was the "soapiness" of it. It was smartly written, and insightful and all that but it had elements of a good soap opera in its plotlines-- what with all the falling in & out of love and the rampant adultery. And ultimately, that's all I really want outta my fiction. I guess I'm sort of a simpleton. As much as I enjoyed reading the book, if the hook-ups I'd been rooting for didn't wind up happenin' I would've ruled it an overall disappointing read and not worth recommending (as it is, I do recommend it... all concludes as it ought to, and I reread the last 2 chapters two or three times) Happy endings are a BIG DEAL with me... I am pretty obdurate about that...I want my happy endings!! To hell with artistic integrity, realism, etc etc....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come to the dark side Luke! I swear you can put whatever you want in your sidebars and it's way easier than changing the HTML in your old blogger. I did it myself, nuff said!