Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bookies

Stopped at Encore Books after work and picked up some new stuff to read...

I purchased--

a cook book: Retro Ranch ( I think a big reason I bought this was that it had a scone recipe in it. Upon further perusal I realized that to attempt about half of those recipes, I would have to somehow procure a Dutch oven)

a book for Chloe: "Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?"

and 2 novels-- Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis (I really wanted to get Amis's"Take a Girl Like You" or "The Green Man" but neither was available)
The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch

You know, in the classics buying frenzy I'm in these days, I should buy another batch of books from the Dover website. I do appreciate those slim little "Dover Thrift Editions" and it would behoove me to behave more thriftily. Even though, as I've explained before, I have little or no spending guilt when I buy books (it's self-enrichment, an investment in one's own mind, and all that). But I should try to look for deals when I can get 'em. That's why tonight I shopped at Encore books (their stock is primarily used books) instead of at my beloved Borders. Anyways I bought about 8 or 9 titles from the Dover website once and now they continually email about special sales & savings. I could email them to please remove my name from their mailing list, but I keep thinking that I'll take advantage one of these days. My Dad has told me numerous times (although not lately, I've noticed. Perhaps he's given up?) how I really oughtta take books out of the library. I just cannot get into that idea... I am very possessive about my books, it may be 5 -10 years before I revisit a particular book (if ever) but I just dig the idea of amassing a library, I guess. And that would be why, even though I was really intrigued by the premise of BookCrossing I don't think I can bring meself to participate. Or maybe I will --and I'll release into the wild (book crossing lingo there)"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez ... it was supposed to be this landmark classic, winner of multiple awards (Pulitzer? Booker Prize? I'm not sure. I DO know that it got the mega-prestigious Oprah seal of approval) and I forced myself to read the entire thing and it was a TORMENT to me. 100 years of mind-numbing tedium--that was my experience with that book. It was probably 3 years ago I read that and I still resent GGMarquez for thoroughly wasting so much of my time....

I know I said in my post from earlier today that my "Our Mutual Friend" mania was at its end? Well it is, but I'm coming to realize that it was merely the commencement of one of my li'l "kicks". This particular one a period drama kick, which besets me with some sporadic regularity. I spent a goodly amount of time on Amazon tonight, trying to decide if I wanted to next buy this, this , this or this . Don't worry amigos, I am not going to go on a MAAAD spree or anything. Although this coming Friday is payday.....it would be relatively harmless to stop by Borders and see what they've got to offer in their Brit TV on DVD section....

1 comment:

Kara said...

I remember having to read 100 years of Solitude in college and wanting to kill myself. I decided to try again with Love in the Time of Cholera, but I just couldn't make it through, even though it's supposed to be a bit of a classic. I think I made it 100 or more pages in, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I feel your pain and I am.... a case in point ;)