Wednesday, January 24, 2007

LIIIIIINDAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !




This is a favorite quote of mine from the incomparable Poseidon Adventure (the 1972 version...I cannot bring myself to watch the recent remake) and it's when Mike Rogo yells --with mucho horror and anguish--to his ex-whore of a wife who has just fallen to her certain & fiery death. It's a great cinematic yell, and it was performed by none other than ERNEST BORGNINE...who turns 90 today. I could not fathom it either...he doesn't look a day over 70, that Ernie.

Here is some Ernest Borgnine trivia to gnosh on today--

*birth name Ermes Effron Borgnino
*He was the first ever center square in the original version of the television game show Hollywood Squares
*He was married to ETHEL MERMAN for about a month in 1964 (this was the third of his five marriages)
*in 1996, Borgnine toured the U.S. in a bus to meet his fans & see the country. The trip was the subject of a 1997 documentary," Ernest Borgnine on the Bus" (not an overly inventive title, I don't think)

Anyways, on a personal note, it was Borgnine's guest starring role in the 1974 season of Little House on the Prairie that has long resonated with me. The episode was a two-parter called "The Lord is my Shepherd" and it's when Laura thinks her bad thoughts somehow killed her sick baby bro and she runs away to the mountain to talk to God. And on that mountain she meets mysterious mountain man "Johnathan" (Borgnine) who is very kind and generous with sage advice and his porridge. Good stuff. No doubt you've caught in syndication at least once...

I was going to finish up a half-written post from Monday where I was recapping my somewhat ho-hum weekend, but I thought Ernie Borgnine's NINETIETH was an infinitely more interesting read so I scrapped that draft and here you have this.

I don't think I'll be able to find "Ernest Borgnine on the Bus" on such short notice, so maybe tonight I'll watch the Special Edition Poseidon Adventure DVD that I picked up recently at Best Buy (had a gift cert from Christmas to burn up). Wednesday night TV is pretty lameass.

Oh, and speaking of TV, I am rather peeved with the PBS people. I made damn sure to tune in to Masterpiece Theatre this past Sunday night to watch Jane Eyre. Well, that was only part 1 of Jane Eyre. I presumed that Part 2 was on Monday night...NOT SO. It is the Masterpiece Theatre way to show one half of a compelling production and then LEAVE YOU HANGING FOR A WHOLE WEEK. That's right-- Eyre doesn't air (ha ha ha) again until Sunday, Jan 28!!! I am most put out!!



I got to reading somethin-er-other today that led me to read up on wikipedia about MAD magazine history. Oh, oh, oh, yeah ...I remember... I read that Jan 31 is National Gorilla Suit Day. Now this is a lesser known movement started up in the comics of Don Martin, who was a very big part of the MAD staff until the late 80s. Hence my reading up on MAD mag. I used to buy MAD all the time until about '92 or '93 I weened myself offa it. And now, today, suddenly I have a strong (possibly nostalgia-rooted) compulsion to rush out and buy a MAD magazine. I do intend to write tomorrow ( sorry for the lapse, by the way) at which point I will let y'all know if I bought the rag and if it was/ wasn't $$$ well spent.

Until then, dearies!!!

No comments: