Monday, January 08, 2007

It is I....CAPTAIN VEGETABLE!!


Well, you learn something new about yourself daily. Or ideally, you should ,I suppose. I have recently discovered that I very much enjoy rutabagas. Also, through some wikipedia digging, I have ascertained that the rutabaga and the turnip are NOT the same vegetable. I had two different people tell me that rutabaga is another word for turnip. They are gravely mistaken. Well, turnips are related to rutabagas, but they ARE NOT THE SAME THING. A turnip is Brassica rapa, while a rutabaga is Brassica napus. Sheesh, ya think at 2 & nine-tenths decades old, I woulda known that already, but nope...just read about that tonight. I like turnips alright too, but RUTABAGAS are my new vegetable fixation. My Top 5 favorite veggies (as the list stands presently) --


1. Cabbage
2. Rutabagas

3.Onions

4.Brussels Sprouts

5.Mushrooms (fresh ONLY...canned mushrooms are vile)


And there are many others I enjoy...have always enjoyed... y'know with such a penchant for veggies it's puzzling how I got such a flabtacular physique. Well, not utterly puzzling...I 'spose it's got a little something to do with my penchant for other, less healthy eats, and a LOT something to do with my fanatical aversion to exercise.

ANYWHOOO , I was pleased to know that rutabaga was a separate thing from turnips because I find the word "rutabaga" immensely satisfying & endlessly amusing. I like that I am choosing the proper word for the veggie I mean, and not just choosing between 2 synonymous terms. Because I would ALWAYS choose "rutabaga". But then I would suspect that I was getting gratuitous about it.
Tonight I finished up Iris Murdoch's "the Unicorn". Initially, I was really into the book and thought all of the characters had a lot of promise. But that was probably for half of the book and so then it wound up a rather disappointing read. Ultimately I thought it was all too much angst and not enough action. And the protagonist seemed to devolve into SUCH a simpering whine-ass over the course of the story and consequently at the very end I was totally apathetic about what would become of her. But when the book truly "jumped the shark" (to use the popular parlance of our times) for me was in chaper 29 when a certain character was killed. The protagonist harbored an undeniable twitterpation for said character, despite the fact he was a domineering, brooding, bisexual sadist. In my head I'd cast him as a real fox, so yeah, domineering sadism be damned, I was rooting for her to go for it all the same. Well she did go for it, but with the dull mysterious brooder who was short. Ugh. Not how I wanted it to play out! And then the short fellah didn't care to have anything to do with her at the end but at that point I didn't really care what happened to the vapid invertebrate and the book had already dragged on for 9 more tedious chapters after it killed off its best character. But, hey do not let that damning review deter you from reading Murdoch. My fave is the 1st one I read -"The Green Knight".
I made boiled dinner for supper last night and it came out pretty well. I think I prefer it with corned beef (I made it with ham as I had my Christmas ham from work that was needing to be used up) but I put in double the cabbage so that was good.
I bought at Borders a DVD of the BBC serial "Our Mutual Friend" adapted from a Dickens novel I've not read. I've not read much Dickens actually. Just "A Tale of Two Cities" and I think that's it. Anyways, I'm curious if "Our Mutual Friend" is a good read or not because I'm halfway through the miniseries & totally addicted . So much so that even though I have to rouse myself for an early a.m. meeting tomorrow, I think I will have to watch Part III after I wrap this up. I know my birthday & Christmas have just gone by, but if someone was simply compelled to delight me with a spontaneous generous gesture, they could buy me a whole set of BBC period dramas. I would SO dig that. (I AM quite aware of what a tremendous nerd I am, in case you were wondering...)

No comments: