Thursday, March 01, 2007

stream of consciousness chatter

I decided my inner "Where-to-grab-lunch?" debate based entirely on vanity reasons. I stopped in the bathroom before heading out, and checked my countenance in the mirror and was mighty displeased. My entire head is chafey & chapped, my hair is dungtastic, and I have this blemish constellation just west of my chin. I had to go fetch lunch, but was suddenly very reluctant to disembark from my vehicle and actually go in to a public place. Yeah, yeah, I know that my office is probably classed a public place, but the folks therein are my coworkers, and not the general public. I don't want to go out amongst the general public looking a fright....whereas I don't give a rat's fanny how I look to my fathead coworkers (so you mighta guessed). But vanity motivated though it may be, I chose well. I hit the Burger King drive thru and am quite enjoying my Italian Chicken Sandwich meal. I haven't had a BK Italian Chicken sammi in a loooong time (I believe it's a special-- not a permanent fixture on their menu anymore) and I'd forgotten how good they were. Well good so far anyhow. I am still consuming said sandwich. If I hit a gizzard or some ground up beak fragments and need to revise my judgement I will update y'all immediately.

I got onion rings instead of fries...an absolutely inspired pick. I always forget that you can do that. BK's rings are soooo vastly superior to their fries. They are very unique onion rings...I don't think anyone has similar ones. (I fancy that they're a secret court recipe passed on for centuries since the reign of the very first Burger King c. 1326 AD ) I had eaten 1/3 of the rings in traffic before I noticed that they had thrown in zesty dipping sauce without my even asking for it. I hadn't even realized that zesty dipping sauce was an option! Oh frabjous day! CALLOOO! CALLAY! I chortled in my joy!

I was also inordinately delighted by the fact that instead of giving me the standard-issue stripey fast food drinking straw, I got a fat red straw. I wasn't, like, ZESTY DIPPING SAUCE ECSTATIC about it, but I was pleasantly surprised.


The modern drinking straw was patented by Marvin Stone in 1888. Now, granted they didn't start awarding people Nobel Prizes until 1901.. but I still think it a sad oversight that a posthumous Nobel hasn't been awarded to poor Marv. A drinking straw is a terrific thing, don't you think? I sure like them!

It truly is the little things in life that make it worth all the hassle...

Am listening right now to a mix of my own makeing--all 1966 tuneage. I made it (and a couple other mixes) for my parent's 40th wedding anniversary party last May. I scoured the '66 Billboard charts and picked out the creme de la creme.
on the 1966 mix--
1. When a Man Loves a Woman (Percy Sledge)
2. Sweet Pea (Tommy Roe) -I sort of included this one on there for Sadie (though it IS from 1966) I call her "Sweet Pea" all the time
3. Winchester Cathedral (New Vaudeville Band) -good song, but about 9/10 of it is whistling, makes me think the NVB lyricist was being damned lazy
4. Mellow Yellow (Donovan)
5. You Didn't Have to Be So Nice (the Lovin' Spoonful)
6. Along Comes Mary (the Association)
7. Little Red Riding Hood (Sam the Sham& the Pharoahs) -Sam the Sham's Texas drawl makes me think of Matthew McConaughey everytime I hear it--especially the spoken part at the very start of the song. Pay attention next time you hear this...
8. Last Train to Clarksville (the Monkees)
9. You Don't Have to Say you Love Me (Dusty Springfield)
10. Groovy Kind of Love (the Mindbenders)
11. Sunny (Bobby Hebb)
12. Georgy Girl (the Seekers)
13. Flowers on the Wall (Statler Bros)
14. Hanky Panky (Tommy James & the Shondells)
15. Cool Jerk (the Capitols)

Where the HELL was Top Design last night? I had my li'l heart set on a new episode and the Bravo gang let me down!! So I was left to channel surf aimlessly and the pickin's were damned SLIM!! I watched...
Medium- I used to be a loyal viewer of this one, but I'd inadvertantly weened myself of it. And I was sorta relieved about that, not because I don't like the show (to be completely honest, I have a weird thang for Jake Weber, who plays the hubby ) but simply 'cause it was just one less thing to hafta cram in my weekly TV itinerary. This eppy I could NOT pass up...Eric Stoltz as an imprisoned serial killer with a real ugly & greeeeeazy coiffure. I mean, I've not been jailed for multiple murders, personally , but I imagine you are permitted to shampoo your hair. Perhaps he has very valid reasons for avoiding the shower...
some Lifetime movie-- I watched a brief snippet of a Lifetime TV movie... this one looked to be circa 1994 or 1995 (lots of extras in flannel & Doc Martens) where Fred Savage was this bastard of a high school jock who roughs up his girlfriend, played by Candace Cameron (at the time of this flick, she had yet to acquire the Bure) I generally avoid watching movies when I've missed the start of them, (actually I'm a bit fanatical about it...even if I've seen the movie in question, I have to see it right from the opening creds or I won't bother) but I was transfixed by the surreal casting in this one and tuned in for about 10 or 15 min. Now generally, I'd not be all that upset by watching a character played by Candace Cameron get roughed up (sorry..I know that's callous and wicked. But it's true) but it did bother me to see Fred Savage be an abusive bastard. That's not the Freddy Savage I know & adore. The real Fred Savage has cheezy Sound of Music lyrics inscribed on the inside of his wedding band. Did you know that? Yeah, he said so on Ellen one time. Anyways, how can he play such a MONSTER?? In retrospect, I'm surprised I could make it through 10 minutes of this...
Growing Pains-- I watched what is probably now considered a great classic in the Growing Pains canon. This is when Brad Pitt played a new kid in town who got Carol so twitterpated that she told Bobby they should see other people just so she could go to the movies with Brad Pitt. And of course, once Brad Pitt gets Carol in the dark theater, he sheds his beguiling and erudite facade and gets gropey-grabby with Ms Seaver. She, in turn, gets all indignant and huffy and ditches him (wha??). Anyways it was pretty standard sitcom fare, but I was just riveted by how alarmingly BAD Brad Pitt was early on in his career. Yeah, it was only Growing Pains, but Leo never phoned it in when he was doing that gig. Brad was just terrible, very shitty acting. He made the lummox that played Bobby look like Olivier.
Laws of Attraction-- Yep, I caught it right at the very beginning. If you're ever in the mood for a formulaic little rom-com this is a good fix for such a jones. Y'know usually I'm rather indifferent to Julianne Moore (although I could never totally blacklist an honored alumnus of The Big Lebowski ) as she often comes off kind of stiff and /or frosty. But not so in this movie. She is charmingly quirky and kind of poignant in Laws of Attraction. And she looks just LOVELY.. . .as does Pierce Brosnan .

1 comment:

Kara said...

I find it both funny and scary that we both decided to blog about Growing Pains yesterday... We have issues