Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I just blatantly misused the term "per se"

It bothers me that I would work myself up into such a state of twitterpation that it would render me rhetorically sloppy. So...please forgive me, chums.

Although, speaking of Gerard Butler...
I just bought "Beowulf & Grendel" at Walmart for the INSANELY LOW PRICE of like, 9 bucks (well to be totally accurate, it was one of those oddball Walmart prices..$8.84 I think it was. I don't know why they have such weird prices, but probably it's something to do with that disembodied floating smiley face that haunts the stores and fiddles around w/ their signage) I watched it last Friday night. It was pretty decent... they definitely used the ol' "artistic license" on the original epic, but I'm cool with that. Basically it was Gerard Butler (hot) being a 5th century Geat warrior ROCK STAR (super hot) . There was a troll in there too. Also it seemed to me they said the word "fuck" a bit more than I suspect anyone did in the 5th century. I mean, I haven't done extensive etymological research on "fuck" but I sense that it probably didn't come into use until...ohhh, I would guess the Elizabethan era at the very earliest.

I think Beowulf would be a good name for a dog. You would have to have the right kind of dog of course, it's not a name I would saddle a Yorkshire terrier (for instance) with. And maybe if I had a pair of dogs I'd use "Beowulf" & "Breca" (name of Beowulf's good friend). I like the idea of naming a pet something really experimental. These days, a lot of truly asinine people (and many asinine celebrities) will get too experimental with their kid's names. And of course, the classic argument against that unfortunate trend is "Imagine how they'll get teased in school.." But see if you name a pet "Beowulf" or "Breca" or "Hrothgar" or "Lazlo" you can get your experimental naming kicks, with absolutely no tragic ramifications. 'Cause hey...the gang down at the dog park ain't gonna care if you've got a whackjob name, they judge you purely by your stank. This way you'd also avoid the offense of naming your dog a too human-ish name, which isn't atrocious, necessarily, I think it's just trite and overdone.

No comments: