Friday, March 02, 2007

Dance 'til Dawn

My quickie mention yesterday of that "Unnamed-Kevin-Arnold-smacks-around-DJ-Tanner-movie" from the Lifetime network got me thinking about Dance 'til Dawn. Y'know how I thought Kevin Arnold going to the same high school as DJ Tanner was a surreal bit of casting... well just imagine Vanessa Huxtable, Carol Seaver, Samantha Micelli, and Kelly Bundy all going to the same school with Matthew Perry and this guy and this dude (both "guy" and "dude" worked LOTS in the 80s but I can't come up with any one role either played..) also I could have referred to Perry as "Chandler Bing" but deliberately did not because: a) I don't want to be implicated as a Friends fan (that show was all smug and overrated and irksome to me) and also b) it would be an anachronism, as there was no Chandler Bing in 1988 when Dance 'til Dawn was released. ANYWAYS, I'm straying away from my central point here... which is Dance 'til Dawn is a total MAGNUM OPUS of surreal casting. Did I mention Kelsey Grammer shows up as a nerdy father, as well as Alan Thicke playing this cool swinger type dad(which reminds me..happy belated 60th Big Al!!) I remember my friend Dawn rented this for her birthday sleepover in the 5th grade. Selected it especially...either because it was ALL her fave Tiger Beat idols in one show..or because the title had her name in it...I don't recall which reason it was, actually, let's just pretend it was the latter one. I wonder what the hell became of Dawn? Hmmm. Anyways Fast Rewind has a grrrreat Dance 'Til Dawn page, lots better than the IMDB entry. Have I mentioned yet that I'm not all that crazy about the IMDB makeover?? I suppose the changes are not all that drastic and I'll adjust soon enough...
TV last night was all icky reruns (I hate reruns. BLAH) and so I chose instead to finally watch "The Prestige" I will not give anything away (as I sense that generally pisses people off) but I must say that I thought Alfred's BIG SECRET was pretty damned obvious right from the start. But I did have the unfair advantage of having read the book. So I suppose my perception on that point is not to be trusted. But still, it wasn't just in my head"Oh yeah, well I know this because I read the book" but I saw instantly that something--well someone -- was glaringly obvious. I can't put it any less vaguely than that or else... the spoiler gestappo will put out a hit on me!!
Still, I really enjoyed the movie. A dark period piece is right up my alley. But I suppose, ultimately, the #1 top reason I bought this movie because of Christian Bale. I mean, I would probably sit through 3hrs of Christian Bale reading the phone book, but Christian Bale+ dark period piece = CAN'T MISS.

No comments: