Monday, March 19, 2007

ERIN GO BRAGH!!



I am very glum to see St Patrick's Day pass us by. I am exceedingly fond of that holiday. I am only 1/4 Irish but I think it's one of my finer quarters. I extended St Pat's this year so it took up the whole weekend--wearing my St Pat's finery on Fri, more green garb on Sat & a St Patty's party (where I ingested a good deal of Irish beer) and then listening to the Cheiftains at my sister's yesterday where we had a big corned beef & cabbage feed. MMMMmmm. But even after all that St Pattying, I could still go for some more. I suppose that part of the reason that I adore St P's Day so, is that the nearest preceding holiday is Valentine's Day...which is a sadistic bitch of a holiday for us singletons. Well there is President's Day in the meantime there, which is neither sadistic nor a bitch, but really, who gives a toss about President's Day unless they're buying a car???

I think we oughtta get the entire month of March designated "Irish Appreciation Month" Or would "Ireland Appreciation Month" be a more proper phrasing? I will have to get that point nailed down before I fire off my letter to Congress.

My sister sent me home last night with a buttload of boiled dinner leftovers that I brought in for lunch today. And then I get in here this a.m. and mi amiga/ officemate Lisa had brought me in a plate of her boiled dinner leftovers PLUS a St Patty's cupcake PLUS a hunk of homemade Irish soda bread (incidentally, I picked up some Irish soda bread @ Price Chopper for Sat's party...didn't want to be bothered w/ making anything. It was VERY good..I heartily recommend. At least I can recommend the white variety with raisins... Laura made Brown Irish Soda Bread for yesterday's dinner and it was very heavy and kinda plain) They so good to me. Although I think Lisa more so because she is not bound by the laws of nature to take care of me. Methinks I may have to by extra Mother's Day gifts this year.


So yeah, courtesy of Lisa, I had a magnificent lunch today-- corned beef, potato, carrots, turnip and a few beets. The beets are a novel twist on boiled dinner --to me anyhow-- but were very yummy. Same thing for lunch tomorrow... different chef, sans beets.
One would think that if you had boiled dinner everyday, you'd get sick to death of it, and probably develop a tremendous hankerin' for pizza. But I can't imagine it...getting sick of boiled dinner that is (I mean, the pizza jones I can most definitely relate to ... I could go for pizza just about anytime...a fact which does not, however, negate or decrease my love of boiled dinner)
I don't know why I got to thinking about The Prisoner -- oh hells yeah, now I remember, it was because today is Patrick "Number Six" McGoohan's 79th birthday (because not a single celeb birthday goes by without my knowing it...well maybe a few...but really, they'd have to be like, sub-Z list celeb) Anyways, the DVD set of this show has caught my eye whilest Borders browsing before and it kinda intrigued me. Six's 79th got me musing over it again today, and because it was oddly slow around here today (not that I'd complain about that!) I was reading all about it online.
Briefest of overviews-- it was this cult British series that ran for 17 episodes (in 1967 in the UK, aired in 1968 over here) where this spy guy quits his job over an unspecified "issue of conscience" and soon thereafter is drugged and taken to "The Village" --a prison dressed up to look like a resort town, where everyone is monitored by secret cameras and addressed by a number (no one has a name...not even the main character). Oh...and possibly the most enticing bit-- there are "Rovers" , big white weather balloons that beset would-be escapees and smash them to death and/or into submission. Does that not sound like TOTALLY my cup of tea?? If you're shaking your head "no" then you don't know me at all, fool!!
I'm puzzled though... if this show ran for just 17 episodes...what the HELL is up with this??
Yeah, I was contemplating purchase of the series on Amazon...but I was displeased at the enormity of the DVD set.
Sure...it's swell of them to put them in those space-saving slim cases, but couldn't they have fit 17 episodes on fewer than 10 DVDs?? C'mon!! That's like (typing fingers pause suddenly & hover uncertainly in the air above keys, brow furrows, tongue pokes out of corner of mouth in unseemly show of concentration as blogger tries to do simple math in her head) a maximum of 17 hours of TV...ummm uhhh..let's say an approximate 4 hr capacity on your average DVD. They should be able to do it in 4 DVDs but if they did the double-sided disc thing they could get it onto 2 discs. Then you could have the thing in one case, a regular size DVD case, but still it'd spare you from the storage quandary of having the colossal brick of slim cases in your DVD library.
Ehhh, I still might buy it. Amazon's price is about half of what I saw it selling at Borders for and I love a bargain like Gargamel hates Smurfs. Like Garfield loves lasagna. Oy. Like, like...Sonny loves Cocoa Puffs. Nope.. no, I'm sorry! Lame, lame, LAME-ASS! There must be something wrong with the simile synapsis in my brain. I keep firing off duds. I give up.

No comments: