Saturday, January 03, 2009

My New Year's Eve was decent (if unspectacular). First thing, my coworker Eileen asked me to go to Margarita's with her friend & her. It wound up being her friend Kristen (whom I'd known from my brief GDT career) Kristen's friend Deb, and Deb's friend whose name I can't remember, but probably her countenance will be seared on my memory forever because her dark eye makeup was alarmingly excessive. And it's not as if she was some Goth broad, either. She was preppy (if we must resort to generalistic labels)but apparently woefully mistaught when it comes to cosmetics. Well, whatever, let's just call her "Rocky" shall we? To make a short story inordinately long, there were 5 of us for dinner, and I'm only passingly acquainted with one of them.

I say "my coworker Eileen" and not "my friend Eileen" because, well, although I get along with Eileen well enough I have yet to decide if she really merits entree into my entourage. She's very nice, but kind of uptight seeming. She gets too agitated over her stupid peon job (and I just can't relate to anyone who's not a fellow slacker, I suppose). I am compelled to brand her geeky, but that feels mean (but yeeah, she kinda is) But [to be fair & balanced] here's a compliment-- I was SHOCKED to find out, on her birthday back in November, that she is 46. She looks a good 10 yrs younger than that. However... do you know anybody that makes you think " What a prime candidate for one of those makeover shows!! She is what such shows were invented for!" You're thinking "SANDRA!" aren't ya? Au contraire, smartass. I know how to dress and preen, I just choose--more often than not--to not divest the time & effort . But Eileen truly is ideal makeover material. She's got a good foundation-- tall, good figure, blond hair. But she dresses horribly. With Lasik, a good hairstyle, new wardrobe and just a dusting of makeup, she'd be a KO.. ..and probably look 15 years younger than she really is.
Sorry..I hadn't intended to embark on this big Eileen tangent. But I just gotta add that one of the perils of being a super nice person (such as Eileen) is that you are not very discriminating in the company you keep. You wind up hanging out with...ehhh..not exceptionally interesting or witty types, no one who's overly fun, sort of bland type people...who are all exceedingly kind and sweet and nice. Well, that seems to be (upon first impression) the friends that Eileen has. Not really my crowd, I'm afraid. (ohh...I am so aware of my mile-wide catty bitch streak right now!!) Anyways, dinner was okay. My fajitas were good (everyone else got salads...booo.) and I got 2 of my fave Margarita's margaritas (the Lime-in-the-Coconut Margarita) so it wasn't a total loss.

Then I went to my sister's. I don't know if it was the margaritas or the subsequent champagne or if it was working all day beforehand, but it was all I could do to stay up to midnight. I made it though...just barely.

New Year's Day I lazed around at my sister's and cat napped, played Guitar Hero (I am improving!), went sliding, and then in the evening, the kids, Laura, Greg & I went bowling & went out for Chinese buffet. I should always bowl with the guard rails up. Usually I am against it--feels like cheating to me. But it's good for the kiddies and I didn't argue this time....and bowled a personal best. I can't divulge the exact score (I do recall what it was) because even if a personal best, it's shamefully bad.

Oh and then I went home and watched Mamma Mia! I'd had it on my iPod for a while but I was saving it..for a special occasion maybe?? I suppose New Year's Day qualifies. Anyways, I had wanted to see it in the theater this summer but didn't...methinks I shall save my impressions of the flick for my next post...

No comments: