Saturday, January 10, 2009

tunes

Well, I've covered how stressed work's had me as of late. It's not only the stress of having to play bad cop that's wearing on me. It's also that my job right now is not very clearly defined. All these departments are wanting something from me, and while it is nice to be needed, I'm also feeling spread very thin... and like there's not enough hours in the day. It's no friggin' wonder that it takes me a lifetime to finish a simple project, I'll be starting a spreadsheet and suddenly there's someone at my desk --" I need saline solution and 3x3 gauze" and then back to my desk, 3 minutes pass and another visitor--"The finance printer is out of toner". And my computer was exceptionally freeze-prone this past week. I can't remember the last time I wrapped work at 4:30pm like I'm supposed to (and I'm sure as shit not getting OT $$ for it, I reeeeeally hope somebody's taking notice!!) So that's what work's been like lately, anyways.

So have you ever had your shuffling iPod miraculously spit out the most absolutely perfect song for your mood?? That happened twice to me this week on my commute home from work. One night I heard Grandmaster Flash's The Message and the next night Donna Summer's She Works Hard for the Money. (I always want to call that song "She Works Hard for the Money-but They Never Treat Her Right" -- the proper title feels very incomplete to me)

Okay, well The Message has a lot of stuff about societal ills of the ghetto that don't quite apply to me and Summer's song is specifically about a hooker**, but the choruses of both felt especially meaningful to me.

Speaking of tunes..watching Mamma Mia on New Year's Day Night seems to have whet my appetite for ABBA. I have quite a bit of ABBA on my iPod, but it has recently come to my attention that I am woefully lacking their song Money, Money, Money. And that song is another one that would come on and feel exceptionally relevant. (I would nod vigorously in agreement, all "Oh, man, I feel ya! This is like MY THEME SONG! Sing it, Bjorn!!" Seriously! check out the lyrics here and see why it is very much in the running to be my official theme song)
I do have Chiquitita on my iPod but had never really given it its due before. But I am really digging it lately. I like the piano bits and I think the line "Chiquitita you and I cry, but the sun is still in the sky and SHINING ABOVE YOU" is really lovely. The song makes "Chiquitita" sound like a proper name, but I do think it's just a common Spanish term of endearment meaning either "little banana" or "chicken tits" HA!!

Dig this...



Is it not enough that they are one of the best pop music acts in the world-nay,the universe!--but presumably the quartet are ALSO master snowman crafters!! That snowdude makes Frosty look bush league, yo.

**Ummm, yeah, I was fact checking and discovered that "She Works Hard for the Money" is actually *not* about a prostitute. I seriously always thought that. Guess that's pretty telling of the subversive nature of my noggin, eh?

No comments: