Saturday, January 24, 2009

Karma or Korean food???

As you'll recall, on Tuesday I succumbed to an entirely fictitious bout of nausea that precluded me from going to work. So, is it karmic or just coincidental then, that I got sick for reals on Friday? All day on Friday, I was not feeling right in the tummy region... but I skipped breakfast (just had a.m. coffee and a late morning Diet Coke) so I really couldn't distinguish whether I felt ill or if I was having hunger pains. So at lunchtime, I walked over to Shaw's and picked up a small size tomato basil vegetable soup and a couple smoothies (Bolthouse Farms-- C-boost & Strawberry Banana) But when I got back I slurped down a half spoonful of the soup and couldn't bear to touch any more of it. So I drank one of the smoothies over the course of the afternoon but I firmly concluded that my "not feeling right" was not hunger pains when I headed to the bathroom in the late afternoon (3 ish) to dry heave for about 5 minutes. As much as I enjoy the undisputable downtime & respite that office potty visits afford me (seriously-- work is that lousy lately) I am still very glad that I did NOT yarf at work. Nope. I postponed that until about 6pm. So after I booted up all of that C-boost I didn't dare eat anything until late this morning when I made myself some waffles. They seemed to set alright so then I went out to dinner and had steak tips. OOOops! A trifle too audacious, that. Now my stomach is making these constant hideous "BLRRRRGGGGLLEMWWAARRRBRRBLLBRR" noises and I'm having yellow foamy poos. Sorry to be so graphic. I'm too in the moment, too preoccupied with my present gastrointestinal distress to worry about delicacy. I'm tempted to ring up my bro-in-law and have him search about for "yellow foam" in the What's Your Poo Telling You? desk calendar I gave him for his b-day.


I did get some funky Korean food from Yama's on Wednesday night (also had leftovers for lunch Thurs) Don't get me wrong, I've had some great eats at Yama's-- for instance, their sushi is terrif ,also I always enjoy their pad thai & gyozas. But sometimes I get too experimentally minded for my own good. I got all stoked to try something *new* and I ordered---
Now, generally, I do enjoy spicy . The buffalo wing, for example, is a great friend of mine. But there is a nice spicy and then there's just masochistic spicy. This Yukyejang dish was of the latter class. But I thought, maybe the next day, perhaps it would have somehow mellowed, plus I would dump in all my leftover sticky rice and that would temper it a bit so I could enjoy it for my Thursday lunch . Well, it was a bit more bearable, but nothing I would order again. For one thing, I noticed that, floating amidst the scallions, shredded beef, and eggy bits ( all lovely components, especially the eggy bits-- that was what had sold me-- I love eggy bits in my Asian food. Unfortunately the BRIGHT RED ATOMIC BROTH detracted from aforesaid components) were these small, stem-like bits that were very GREY. I mused aloud (to the dismay of Larry who happened to be in the lunch room at the same time) that there was something that looked like either tails or umbilical cords bobbing about in my soup. The first one I noticed, I gawked at it, pointedly did NOT ingest it, wadded it up into a napkin and tossed it into the garbage. But then I saw a couple more and thought: Ok, one or two might be a tail /umbilical cord (you know, one of those freak finger-in-the-Wendy's-chili incidents) but with three bits, it's got to be somethin' that's supposed to be in there, right? So I supposed it to be a piece of some kooky Asian mushroom and stopped eating around them. They weren't very tasty though. Like I said, **NOT** something I'd order again.

But all that said, I don't think the yukyejang got me sick. If it were that, wouldn't I have been sick Wednesday or Thursday night???

No comments: