Saturday, January 24, 2009

short list of stuff I'm diggin' right now...

1. VH1's Confessions of a Teen Idol--
Ok, all the principles are kind of ridiculous, (the so-called "idols") but y'know what I love about it?? Co-yodas Jason Hervey & Scott Baio--those two are the cat's jammies. I love how Jason Hervey has grown up to be all mysteriously ,behind-the-scenes-type successful and he shows up being rather chillaxed and benevolent when part of you expects him to be all Wayne Arnold and give one o' these guys a noogie. It's that defiance of expectations that is so delightful. And then you've got Scott Baio as the acting Dr Drew figure. I don't know why that thrills me so. It's that flouting of expectations again , I suppose. One doesn't expect terms like "wisdom" "mentor" and "CHACHI" to be associated with the same dude, y'know.

2. Marina City-Chicago-- I picked up an illustrated encyclopedia of North American Architecture the other night (this one, specifically) and though I have yet to pore over it thoroughly, I was very taken with the Marina City towers. I was daydreaming about setting up in one of those condos, and the big question (was not if I could afford it..because the answer to that is an unequivocal & resounding NOOO) was if that were, hypothetically, my digs, would I dare to hang out on my own balcony?? I certainly don't get afraid of heights when inside a skyscraper, but in the open air?? I dunno. The top of the Empire State Building was a cinch, because the fencing around that is hellah tall (for obvious reasons). But the Marina City condo balconies sport railings that look to be about waist high. Maybe you're not likely to fall over that, but it's not impossible. Especially not if you're a "tippler" and, as it happens, in this hypothetical alternate reality, I do throw a good number of cocktail parties. Pity.

Oh, additionally, I was researching the features & amenities of the Marina City complex and discovered that one of the three on site eateries is an intriguing place called Dick's Last Resort. I'd never heard of this place before, but I guess it's a smallish nationwide chain. Hmm--curioso. Maybe I'll seek out the Boston branch one of these days.

3. Folk music-- I certainly don't want to represent myself as any sort of afficionado. I'm dabbling at present...one of my kicks, you know. I just redeemed an iTunes gift card and 3/4 of the stuff I bought was folk tunes. Here is, specifically, what I got...
*Cottleston Pie
*Lavender Blue (Burl Ives)--OK.. these first 2 are maybe more children's songs (with Disney connections) but they sort of feel folky to me.
*The Fox (by Odetta) --the version I have is by Odetta, but not a live version (like the one I linked to here) I like the one on my iPod better, but in both versions she sings "Old Mother Flipper Flapper" in a way that never fails to make me chuckle
*Leatherwing Bat (by Peter,Paul , & Mary) Discovered this song when I saw Judy Collins sing it on The Muppet Show. I don't know how many "MUST-HAVE" songs I've discovered by watching my DVDs of seasons 1-3 of the Muppet Show. A ton of 'em, really. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Judy Collins version on iTunes. Bah.
*Froggy Went A-Courtin' (Doc Watson) -- I also have an awesome "Cotton Eyed Joe" by Watson. I did a little research on Doc and was kinda awestruck. He lost his sight as a baby but is just amazing on the guitar & banjo nonetheless. I guess it might be sorta condescending of me to be so astonished at blind people accomplishing stuff, but I always am... I think because, when I imagine myself as blind I see it as a whole lot of me wallowing in self pity and barking orders at people. (Get me a fucking Diet Coke NOW!! Are you going to let me die of thirst because I can't see my way into the kitchen you heartless bitch??") Have I ever mentioned here that the inventor of cruise control was blind?? Yep, Ralph Teetor..and after you read up on him, I suggest checking out Doc Watson.
OK, back to the topic of folk music, before I commence ta blathering on about Helen Keller and Mary Ingalls
*Billy Boy (Ed McCurdy)-- I enjoy this song right up until the end where a pivotal "plot point" is revealed via rapidly sung math equation. Now, I struggle with math problems when they're laid out in black & white on a paper before me, so as you mighta guessed, I'm just hopeless at solving this one.
*Old Dan Tucker (Oscar Brand) I'm kind of smitten with Old Dan Tucker. He washed his face in a frying pan, for the love o' Pete's Dragon!! How can you not love that??
*(Green Corn) Come Along Charlie (Josh White)-- my favorite acquisition. I just LOVE this song.

1 comment:

Kara said...

1. LOVE Confessions of a Teen Idol.. Love Love Love and I feel the same way about Jason Hervey.. he's like.. all growns up!

2. Dick's Last Resort.. been to one in Myrtle Beach SC.. they basically are mean to you, and you pay them to do it. I think you'd get a kick out of it.. I didn't realize there were so few of them