Thursday, April 10, 2008

very nearly woke up in Oz

Last night Bonnie was bothered by the T-storms, but I was much more nervous about the wind.
I went to bed around quarter after midnight, but at 3:00 I was woken by the wind rattling my window. Felt to me like my room was shaking but my perception mighta been influenced (probably was influenced) by a customer warning me earlier about tornado warnings for Denton County. So at 3 am when the wind was shaking my windows (the windows were undoubtedly shaking...as for the walls, I dunno) I'm lying there thinkin'-- The ROOF is gonna fly off this motha-effing hotel!! I tried for a while to calm the hell down and go back to sleep but I just kept getting more nervous and finally at 3:30 I went down to the lobby to drink cold coffee and read my book a bit (am right now in the early chapters of Flashman )

I took the stairs to the lobby, as that seemed like a safer place to be (when the top flew off the building) than the elevator. As I got to the lobby, I met the front desk guy, headed into the elevator with a monster stack of USA Todays. He said, "Before I leave the front desk, is there anything that you need?" And I said "I scared. Just. . .just.hold me"

Ok, that is all true except for that last part. The quote from yours truly was totally fabricated.

I was in the lobby , trying to read Flashman, but both my eyelids and my head were tres droopy. I YEEEEARNED for slumber. So at 4am I headed back up to my room (via elevator...mustering up my every scrap o' courage). It seemed, at this point, the wind had died down somewhat so I was able to get back to sleep. Not your primo Stage 4 sleep, but I did sleep from 4:10 or so until 7am.

But I showed up to breakfast this a.m., so hagged out and weary looking that Laurel took over chaffeur detail without argument. Much to my shame...she got us to work in about 5 minutes.

No comments: