Tuesday, April 08, 2008

the stars at night (clap clap)are big and bright?(greetings from the Lone Star state)

Actually it's been kinda overcast, so I've not taken note of star size or brilliance. But it's been warm. That's nice anyways.


I tried turnip greens at the Cracker Barrel last night (they're OK) We have Cracker Barrels kinda near me (in MA), but I've never been to one. It was sort of HeeHaw as far as atmosphere goes, but the food was good. No booze though and I coulda used a nip. Our limo driver who picked us up @ the Dallas Fort Worth airport debriefed us (without any prompting) about the alcohol policies of the city of Denton (apparently Denton is what is called a "damp" city. It ain't making me damp as yet, but...) (sorry, grody of me...couldn't help it) I don't know if we just came off like some gaggle of lushes, or if he'd been debriefed on us.

I wanna be open-minded and all, but my overall impression has been one of...meh. This place has no character . By "this place" I should specify Denton, as I certainly don't mean ALL OF TEXAS. Jinkies, there must be some character somewheres in TX, I mean, I dunno if you know but it's a biggish sorta state.

CONS-- it's flat, almost totally flat, so you can see for miles (or at least a mile) but then there's nothing to see. It's all highways and highways and strips of franchises and highways and service roads. Like I said..mmmeh.

PROS-- It's 82 degrees. I was sooo sick of wintery weather. I like staying in a hotel..where they pick up my soggy towels and replace 'em with fresh 'n' fluffy ones..and make my bed. Don't get me started on complimentary breakfast buffet-- I could rave all day! TRES bon. I could LIVE in a hotel. Even though this particular destination is underwhelming, this whole experience is making me feel like I oughtta do more travelling...
And y'know, even though I was sorta nervous at the prospect of flying, I actually enjoyed yesterday (abridged recap of 4/7/08: 7:20am depart NH ;flew out of Bradley Airport at about 11:30am; brief layover in Charlotte NC {only 35 minutes!! NOT long to make it to another terminal & make a potty stop} and then arrival in Dallas at about quarter of 5 CST; 'bout an hour of downtime at the hotel then dinner at the Cracker Barrel; back to the Fairfield, then an episode of Diners, Drive-ins,& Dives then BED)

No comments: