Friday, December 21, 2007

upcoming movies of note

I kinda wanna see Nim's Island. It kind of goes without saying, because Gerard Butler is in Nim's Island and generally I am game for seeing anything with GB in it. Nearly anything. I am avoiding PS I Love You because I don't think I could withstand an entire movie of the magnificent Gerard Butler being eternally devoted to -ugggh--Hilary Swank. Oscar wunderkind or not, that chick is Mr Ed in a dress and I find her inexplicably irritating.

And y'know, I generally avoid Jodi Foster too (who costars in Nims) but after watching the trailer (use above link) I am inclined to think it's because I've never watched her in a comedic role. She seems such a serious type that it works to watch her in a comedic role that sort of plays off/makes light of her Type A qualities. Most of her fare is pretty serious and coupled with her innate seriousness it just makes for an offputting viewing experience...for me anyhow. It's just O.D.ing on gravitas, y'know?? It harshes my mellow. Looking at her IMDB dossier, it looks like she hasn't done anything funny since the 80s...oh wait there was Maverick. That was an uncharacteristic "fluff" film for her. And honestly, Nell was pretty amusing too, but I am certain it wasn't supposed to be.

Anyways, Nim's looks cute. Maybe I'll take Chloe and/or Seth to see it. Trailer gets bonus points for the announcer's correct pronunciation of "Gerard" (I mean, I don't think it's a tough name, but it was utterly botched in the P.S. I Love You trailer)

Another promising flick on the 2008 slate-- Forgetting Sarah Marshall . I confess I am susceptible to the lowbrowish humor of Judd Apatow. Also, I think Jason Segel is very worthy of snagging a starring movie role. He was SOOO smarmily hilarious in Knocked Up. Also he's quite good on How I Met Your Mother...which I watch only occasionally. But--off-the-cuff observation on that show-- the supposed lead of that show is the most boring character on there. Well, it's a guy named "Ted" so I suppose that's to be expected. The name "Ted" just OOOZES boring-ness. OK, to be fair, the Robin character is equally dull. Even Bob Saget narrating is more interesting than those two. Alyson Hannigan-always endearing. And it goes without saying--NPH is a SUPAH STAAAAH.

Get Smart looks funny. I love Steve Carrell. The part in the teaser-trailer where he throws the phone?? Hys-friggin-sterical!!!

My Blueberry Nights looks intriguing. Most of all, I'm curious to see how Norah Jones does as an actress. But that "Limited Release" label is BAD NEWS. Por moi, that basically means--SOL catching it in the theater--gotta wait & rent it.

No comments: