Friday, December 28, 2007

Feliz Navi-blaaah

So the holidays are done with (I suppose not officially until Jan 2, but it's not as if I have any BIG happenings in the hopper for New Years') and I'm relieved and morose at the same time. I love Christmas : the music, the decorations, the movies (did I mention my "Christmas Story" tape is MIA?? Luckily I was able to get my annual fix on TBS on Christmas Eve) and of course (in the most idyllic of moments) the widespread goodwill to be had/given.

Sooo lemme see...quickie Xmas recap....quick as I can manage...

We had a Christmas Eve party at my parents' house that went pretty well. Personally,I was too busy hostessing to Wang Chung to my full potential, but I still had a nice time (as did pretty much everyone, far as I could tell)

My favorite gift was (from my parents) this iPod docking set-one for home and one for the car with an FM transmitter (for simultaneous charging & playing) Y'know that iPod was sort of half-heartedly asked for (it was getting close to my b-day and my wishlist was looking rather paltry...so I added it) it was like "Sure I'd like one, but it's not an urgent MUST- HAVE" But since I've gotten it...I'm rather fixated on it. Definitely my fave toy. I'm such a music fiend anyways...I can't fathom now why I'd not rated it a "MUST-HAVE".

My 2nd fave thing (also from the folks) was a small gift of CASH (of course I am much too genteel to impart here the dollar amount) Not only was that much appreciated, it was sorely needed. In fact the coming weeks are going to have to be a period of financial recouperation for me. Uggh.

Now my sister,who is usually apt to trump my parents when it comes to gift giving...failed to dazzle this year. Shit. I feel like a horrible, terrible INGRATE typing that. But I can confide my feelings here, unseemly though they may be, right?? Virtually nobody reads this thang anyhow (that is, unless I mention CLAY AIKEN. Holy HELL...I said something a wee bit disparaging about that dude back in Feb and yyyeee-ikes!!! I brought down the wrath o' the masses on my poor head...and HOW!) She gave me all this stuff I liked...yet nothing I really wanted, y'know? For instance, she got me some good makeup..I like makeup...in fact, I already have a buttload of it (though, you wouldn't know it by lookin' at me most days...I generally save the "war paint" for my sporadic social engagements). I'd go on but... already I'm feeling so critical and mean and ungrateful.... let's just move on, eh?

This year we flipped the Christmas Day script and we all converged at Laura & Greg's (well that we have done for several years now...I've yet to touch on the "flipped" part of the script...) for the first time ever with Greg's sister, bro-in-law & their 3kids. And instead of sitting around the dining room table to eat ("family style") as we have in years past , Laura set up the dining room table as a buffet table and we fixed our plates and took 'em to various sectors of the casa to eat-- the kitchen island, the sectional, etc. I mean, the whole downstairs of that house is open plan, so it's not as antisocial as it sounds. I liked it. I think change is good. I think maybe people get too rooted in "holiday tradition" and let it all get to be rote. Or at least I think I have anyways. That's not to say folks should...y'know...PISS ON TRADITION altogether. But there is definitely something to be said for mixin' it up a bit. It's good to find new ways to honor the old observances, don't you think? The balance of old & new...that whole dynamic reminds me of the old Girl Scout song...the one about your silver friends and your gold friends? It was sung in a "round". Oh you know the one. You's singing it in your head right now.

Oh... and we have always had HAM for our Xmas repast. This year it was ham and turkey. That tweaking of tradition was yummy as hell, yo.

No comments: