Monday, December 03, 2007

2007 National Cookie Day Preparations (UPDATE)

I went with (drumroll ) option C. There actually a fair number of cookie recipes that don't call for eggs. And none of 'em called for Eggbeaters either (Epicurious is too snooty a site for that sort of thing) But some of 'em called for fancier ingredients than I had available (actually found this impressive-sounding--and very well reviewed-- recipe for "Swedish Dream Cookies" that called for AMMONIUM CARBONATE). And other choices, that didn't call for fancy ingredients called for fancy equipment (so maybe parchment paper ain't all that fancy,but I DON'T have any, ok?) And actually the recipe I decided on -- Brown Sugar Shortbread-- called for a springform pan (cookie baking sans cookie sheet--insaaaane!!) But I thought that one of those 9" diameter disposable round cake pans would work and once I called my Aunt 'Rainey to confirm this, I was off and baking.

I prophesied to Robin that Iwould have the Christmas tunes blaring and be clad in an apron with snowmen on it (or Santas or trees or some such seasonal motif) . Well, I came very close to fulfilling that prediction.... I'm not one to wear any apron (no hardcore slob who's used to being a head-to-toe mess does) but I put on the new Santa hat that I got at Kmart on Saturday (yes , Kmart AGAIN) And I put 3 of my bestest Christmas mixes on shuffle and blared them (at a reasonable volume)

So I have taken the cookies out of the oven and it's on the cooling racks. I was not optimistic at the outset with these suckers and I remain skeptical. I made a lot of substitutions... first off, I needed 6 sticks of UNSALTED butter (I tripled the recipe) but was only able to come up with 3 unsalted (and the other 3 were salted). Also, the recipe called for "golden brown sugar" and I only had "light brown sugar" so I used that...don't know if that totally fucked 'em up or not. And lastly (and probably my most drastic substitution) I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. Ooh and then I added too much sugar. The dough was not so doughy, it was quite crumbly , but the recipe warned against overstirring so I just bit the proverbial bullet and dumped into the 3 foil pans and tossed it in the oven. They baked through (I should hope so!! I had them baking for over an hour) but, they looked just exactly the same coming out oven as they did going in an hour prior. So that's less than encouraging. But my definitive verdict is pending a taste test. . .

I am not so hopeful.. already thinking I might combine this plan c with a dash of plan a.

I went out and plowed with the 4wheeler tonight. I wasn't all that effectual because I'm very hesitant with the gas so, consequently, I work rather sloo-oo-owly. But, I get points for showing initiative to pitch in with the snow removal drudgery (the Dad work). Plus, it got me out of doing dishes...which is the utter WORST.

No comments: