Monday, June 01, 2009

Last week I came across this old CD of mine"Television's Greatest Hits; Volume 6" And I'm like -Ehh, what the shit? I'll load it onto my iPod.


So, then this past Saturday I was at a loss for what to do and I decided to just drive into town and take a walk around the block while I wait for an idea to percolate in my noggin. And then at least, if I fail to get inspired, I'll at least get some exercise. Now mind you, this was following a full day of loafing around... half way through the mile I'm really feeling it in my calves (probably was inadvisable to wear flip-flops) And I'm dragging my arse up this monster hill and it really woulda been an ideal moment for the Gods-of-Shuffle to send me a motivational message via something like "Eye of the Tiger" or Snap!'s "The Power" (hmm..preferably the former) but what should start playing on my iPod instead? THE THEME MUSIC TO THE BENNY HILL SHOW (aka "Yakety Sax") It #$%^ing CRACKED ME UP!! I suddenly envision myself zipping to the top of the hill all kooky fast-motion style (I didn't). It's a hell of a song though. I listened to it 3 or 4 times in a row. It makes you smile. Notice, I didn't just say "It makes ME smile" Ohh NO, it's a universal factual truth. If you are a genuine, properly-wired, human, Yakety Sax will make you smile. That's why they use it in Replicant testing. That was totally going to be in Blade Runner but Ridley Scott couldn't afford the rights so they subbed in some shit about tortoises baking in the desert sun. Puh! WEAK.
Another side-effect of that song...it makes me want to shake my tushie..or wiggle my fanny. It does NOT however, make me wanna SHAKE MAH ASS. Oh no..that anatomical motion is *exclusively* rap induced.

Oh speaking of ass shakers, I find it interesting that a lot of songs (on my iPod and in pop music in general) will fake me out with their opening chords/notes etc.. (example: the very start of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" sounds like the start of some Shakira song. Also, when "Radar Love" comes on the radio, 8 times outta 10, I get a little stoked, because I'll think it's the beginning of Midnight Oil's "Beds are Burning" and that--though that may only happen to me--is particularly disappointing since I so dig "Beds.." and I loathe "Radar Love") Anywhooo , was trying to point out before succumbing to that monster parenthetical aside, that the starts of songs will frequently trick me into thinking they are the starts of other songs, but I only need to hear TWO very simple bass notes and I know without a doubt that we's about to launch into 2Live Crew's "Me So Horny". Damned if I know why, but those are the most distinctive bass notes in all of 20th century popular music.

Tonight on my ride home, the Family Feud theme music came on. It's no "Yakety Sax", but it also made me chortle. Dunno who Mark Goodson & Co. commissioned to compose that one, but I feel they got their $$ worth. As much as I love the whole Family Feud premise, I just can't get into the episodes without Dawson. What can I say about Richard Dawson? Dude is cooler than the other side of the pillow! I wonder, on the new Feud...do they still start out with the contending families posing in this frozen tableau like a live family portrait? I SOOO loved that. "PREEESENTING..THE GOOGLYMOOGLY FAMILY: DONNA, CHIP, GUILLERMO, HANSEL, AND SCHLOMO: READY FOR ACTION!!"

2 comments:

P said...

THe pose is the same sometimes.

Kara said...

lol.. I always get excited when Beds come on my ipod..