Tuesday, June 30, 2009

So-- sha la la la la la milady

Today I went to an hour long meeting training us on how to use our phones (phones we've had since January, by the way). Now, I'm hardly an imbecile when it comes to office equipment and I've figured out on my own how to basically use the phone. What I wanted from training was perhaps some little tips or tricks that may have escaped me. I really could've done with just popping in to the training, swiping the "quick user guide" cheat sheet hand-out, and bolting. But a whole hour of sitting there, with no one on my ass about doing something for them....that,I could NOT pass up.
Anyways, the billing manager, Pam brings her lunch into this training. This session I attended happened to be at noon, and that's when Pam takes her lunch. So instead of pushing her lunch back to 1pm, she brings her lunch to training. And I don't think it's that she was hungry. I do believe it's because she didn't want to tarry any longer than she had to in regions of the office that weren't her desk. She really is a Poindexter like that. She doesn't seem to grasp that one must sieze as much justifiable downtime as one possibly can.
So that is how I wound up sitting next to Pam as she ate her lunch (normally it wouldn't happen). And as she's cracking open her Tupperware, she's giving us all a disclaimer "Sorry if my salad grosses anyone out. I just kinda hobble together whatever leftovers I have kicking around and throw them into my salad." And I'm in the middle of saying " Oh, creative & eclectic cuisine--I can appreciate that." when I spy hot dog slices in her salad and the incongruity of that juxtaposition stops me 1/3 of the way through that utterance. And I instead inquire: "HOT DOGS?" I mean, a salad is like this garden of nutritious virtue & it struck me as kind of MANIACAL to just throw chunks of the food Antichrist in there. And she goes, "Yep. I told you. I just throw in whatever leftovers I find in the fridge. I got hot dogs, blueberries..." Yuck. I guess blueberries in a salad isn't TREMENDOUSLY wacky... I mean, a lot of people put bits of fruit in their salad (though I am not a fan) . But I was focusing on the blueberry-hot dog combo. Imagining a nice dog in a New England style hot dog roll (since I mention it, I vehemently feel that they should discontinue, immediately &forevermore, the other style hot dog roll --y'know the heel-o'-the-bread sided kind. Those are an ABOMINATION!!) with gloppy blueberry pie filling used as relish. SO. NASTY. Add to that a salad. Thanks but nooooo thanks! I said to Pam,"Any Captain Crunch in there?" and she said "NOOO. That would get soggy!!"

So didja guess what song I listened to on my way home from work tonight? Oh, didn't know you was supposed to be guessing, didja? Well the post title was a large-ish clue. I am soon to embed a vid and if you can't come up with it even after that big FAT hint..well, I'm gon' have yo' mamma put a cork on yer fork.




Such a happy, summery tune. Although, when I searched it on YouTube, I was hoping to come up with some kind of concept video (dunno what I was thinking...as the song came out in 1977...not too many concept vids out there then)
Also heard Uncle John's Band, which is most definitely my #1 top Grateful Dead song.
Oh, and a Michael Jackson song came on--PYT. Love that one-- it's one of my favorites of MJ's.
Y'know it occurred to me the other day (actually last Friday, right after the news had broken. Was listening to "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" on my commute in to work) that I've always had a small twinge of mourning when listening to MJ-- for YEARS and YEARS. Always there's this lament of " He used to be SO f-ng cool. It's a damn shame that he morphed into such a freakshow." Well, now I shall always lament: " He used to be SO f-ng cool. It's a damn shame that he morphed into such a freakshow. And then died." So really, it amounts to just a slight shift in my emotional response. I have always and will always love his music ( just the early stuff actually...anything prior to the 90s).

Tonight, PYT got me musing over the term "Tenderoni". WHO pioneered that one? This intrigues me in the same way that I yearn to know who was the very first to implore crowds to throw their hands up in the air and move them in a waving, careless sort of fashion (ha). I mean, logically, I do know what they mean when they say "Tenderoni",but I can't help the connotations that flood my brain. Totally feels like it's some obscure Chef Boyardee product!!

I gotsta go catch some ZZZzzzs, kiddies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hotdogs and blueberries in a salad - Ummm no thank you.

MJ - I agree with your "He used to be so f'ing cool... morphed into such a freakshow." What I want to know is "what's with the nose?" Why did he keep butchering his nose? If he thought it made him look better - well, I'd have to say it didn't. Scary is the word that comes to mind.

"Tenderoni" - I don't remember hearing that word before, but it reminds me of "...the San Francisco treat!"

Anonymous said...

I totally think that salad was gross and I am sad that you can get good hot dog rolls where you live. I yern for a tosted bun and alas... it can not happen in the AZ, we only have crappy rolls. Hence my lack of burger & dog BBQ.... we do more Carne Asada.