Sunday, June 28, 2009

low key weekend

I have not very much moolah to last me through 'til my July2 paycheck, so the plan for this weekend was to lay low and not spend any $$. I almost managed to do it. I laid low and spent a smallish amount of $$.

Friday night-- Went to meet Laura & the little girls at Mc Donalds for dinner. They have monster Angus burgers there now. It was pretty yummy but..never again. If the arterial blockage doesn't do me in, the colossal remorse will. I figger thems run about 8 or 9 THOUSAND calories per burger. F*ckin' A!!!

Saturday-- Took my niece Chloe out for the day. We hit up this street fest in Claremont for a bit & then walked around Tremont Square for a while. There's a cute used bookstore there I'd never been in ('twas cute, but it's certainly no Encore!) and they were having a fill a bag with used hardcovers for $5 sale. Seems like I shoulda dropped $5 fer sure, but I just couldn't find any reads I couldn't do without. Chloe did well though -- and really crammed that bag to capacity (good girl!)!! Then I took her to the movies, but economics being as they are, we made a pre-movie trip to Market Basket and bought movie snacks there. I could tell Chloe was a wee bit nervous about getting busted for that but it worked out fine. We saw Land of the Lost. I had heard such vile reviews for it, but I kinda liked it. Chaka cracked me up and I SOO dig Danny McBride, I think I would watch him in just about anything.
That night I took my Mom out for pizza in Springfield. This place called The Subway.. they've been in business since1974. I know the exact year of establishment because their sign out front reads "The Subway established 1974" I presume that's not their original sign. I mean, I don't think an eatery would proclaim their date of establishment until they've reached a tenure where they are damned impressed by their own longevity. So maybe that sign was put up ...1990 or so? I like The Subway, like their old skool pizza joint vibe and their old skool pizza. They always have a lot of free reads laying about and I always enjoy a browse through the Picket Fence Preview ( a for-sale-by-owner real estate paper) and the latest Avon catalog while I wait for my grub. They have this ongoing special-- a 15" two topping pizza & two 20 oz sodas for $12.95. I think that's damned reasonable.

Sunday--Slept in and missed church. Went to my folk's house, where I tried on the Sketchers 4wheelers that have been banished to the attic for 8 yrs and tried my hand at rollerskating. Yep, I haven't the first clue about how to rollerskate and I bought myself these old school rollerskates. I think I was influenced as a young 'un by all the Sesame Street segments of Big Bird & David rollerskating that a romantic vision of rollerskating still resonates with me to this day. I mean, c'mon, doesn't this inspire YOU??



So, I used a high back white plastic patio chair as a sort of skating walker and skated up and down the walk (this is a narrow 10 ft stretch, that is the only paved bit in front of my parents' house that isn't sloped downhill) about 5 or 6 times. But REAL pathetic like. I mean, David in that video (and I refer to the jeans-clad reality version of David) looks like a damned PRO compared to me. The girls (Sadie & Lucy) came out to watch me. They thought it was a real hoot (glad I could amuse) When I went to turn around to "skate" over to look at a fat toad in the basement window well, I fell on my arse. But it was a slow motion sort of fall and I totally prepped myself for impact. Elbow in the grass, landed tipped to the side on the very meatiest of ass padding, held my head up. Sadie said "You should take those off now, Auntie." So I did.

Then I went with my parents to take the girls to McD's (their pick.. I just got a big soda and stole a few fries) Then we went to Home Depot -looking for a hanging light for over the new island in the kitchen...and Dad wanted me to help pick it out. They had a lot of cute options, but the problem was they all exposed the bulb(well all the nicest ones did), and in HD they were fitted out with nice globe-ish bulbs and looked fine but Dad is using the energy efficient spirally bulbs so those would look dumb. Do they make any energy efficient bulbs in a nice normal round shape?? Anybody?
Later, I laid out in the shade, on a towel on the mossy ground under the apple tree and read a little bit of Tom Robbins. The appletree is all over grown and the bows touch down to the ground, so it was like a hideout of sorts. Very nice and peaceful, and I wound up curling up on my left side and falling asleep. I didn't think I would on account of all the multitudes of ants and skeeters and various creepie crawlies that musta been traipsing on me...but I did. And Kermit curled up in the crook of my knee and had himself a cat nap. That Kermit is so steadfast and sociable and good natured...I suspect he is a dog in a cat's body.
Speaking of cats...have I mentioned here about Sugar Booger? About 2 weekends ago (the last weekend I devoted to "laying low and not spending $$") I discovered a kitten stowing away in my parents garage. He growled whenever you went near him, and he went APE SHIT LOCO on my Dad when he scooped him up to put him in the cat carrier. Anyways, we've since done a good job of socializing him (a little Meow Mix & scratching of the chinny chin chin works wonders) and I think he's a keeper. I named him Sugar Booger (on account of him being sweet and also having some nasty nasal oozage issues) Usually I just call him Booger. Or Boogs. Anyways, as Boogs has gotten progressively more snuggly lately, I've had the opportunity to get a close up whiff of him. The poor li'l fellah smells like greazy ASSCRACK. Or I oughtta say smelled like asscrack. Because after my nap, I was possessed by my inner 6 yr old and proceeded to give the cat a bath. He was really better about it than I'd expected him to be. He was clawing at the insides of the bucket a bit but I didn't get a scratch on me. And he didn't make a peep. After his bath he snuggled up on my shoulder and purred and licked at himself (either doing some QA work or because he likes the taste of the Chamomile Suave shampoo that I scrubbed him down with) for about 20 min. He *obviously* liked being clean. He was like, I wasn't a big fan of the bath but I do feel much better now. You were SO RIGHT about me smelling like sweaty ass before!!
YOU'RE WELCOME , BOOGER.
And then I ate perch, watched Futureworld on Comcast on Demand and painted my fingernails this cool Pepto Bismol pink (Wet & Wild # 215 "True Love" to be utterly precise). After the movie, I hopped on Facebook and uhhh..that about brings us current.

My sincere apologies for such a dull-ass post. But at least I made with the thrilling rollerskating footage, si??

No comments: