Saturday, March 28, 2009

watched a spot of Comedy Central this a.m....

...and saw Bo Burnham for the first time ever. Usually I get bored with all-musical stand up, but this was exceptional. I mean, there's a lot of singing stand-up acts out there but he really distinguishes himself. First of all, I'm impressed when anybody can rap. Just the ability to rap dazzles me. It's just effin' hard to do!! Have you tried ?? I rap at my reflection in the mirror all the time...or I try to anyways...it's tres sucky. Well, NO, I really don't do that, not all the time anyways. I mighta given it a shot once or thrice. But my LAME attempts to rap along with my favorites is indication enough of how deeply deficient I am as a rapper. Aside from the verbal challenge of rapping, writing rap lyrics is beau coup impressive. If I could write a rap song, it would be cut rate, sub-bargain basement Sugarhill Gang type stuff and chance are the start of it would be along the lines of "My name is {insert 2 syllable nickname here} and I'm here to say, I {somethin' somethin' somethin'} in a major way!" I don't think I ripped that off of the Sugarhill Gang actually, I think that was a cereal commercial of the late 80s " My name is Barney and I'm here to say, I love Fruity Pebbles in a major way"
Woooah Nelly have I careened off topic!! Anyways, Bo Burnham= rad because he injects rap segments into more traditional (pop /folky) musical comedy. And his lyrics just dazzle with the sheer volume of jokes he crams into his lyrics-- lots of clever puns . I do appreciate a good pun.

No comments: