Thursday, March 05, 2009

Misc. TV blather

HSR RANTINGS--
Is it whack of me to find the anti-Dennis coalition more tiresome than Dennis himself? Oh WAAAH, people! It was like they could NOT get enough of conferring about his behavior, concluding and reconcluding and reiterating ad nauseum that it was Unacceptable and Unforgivable to act in that manner. Except for Liz, who took the occasional break from this practice to reflect on how Jenny’s defense of Dennis is such a great illustration of what an evil bitch Jenny is. I agree that Jenny *does* seem deeply bitchy, but Liz is an irritating whiner and that may be even worse. But you know who is the most irritating of the whole lot?? ClassclownScott!! In the opening credits they intro him as “the class clown” and instantly I’m inclined to like him…. but then…quel suprise!...we find the guy’s a tremendous prig. Shouldn’t a card-carrying class clown have more hakuna matata spirit than this guy?? Manny was not exaggerating all that much when he said "They're acting like he (Dennis) murdered somebody" The apex of their ridiculousness was when they were gathered for the big oust-or-forgive symposium and Jenny said something about forgiveness being best and ClassclownScott WENT *OFF*. He's all sputtering "That's horseshit, that's just HORSESHIT!" and he sprang up from the sectional because he had to take a turn about the room in order to cool off. If you want the guy out of the house, whatever, fine. But if you open the issue up to debate, try not to rupture a forehead vein when someone expresses a contrary opinion, matey!!

I TOTALLY called Scott W's hall pass shocker. The one they hinted would "stun the class?" Yep. I totally called it. I didn't call it here in this forum so you'll just hafta take my word for it...or ask Kara. She'll tell ya. Anyways, I thought Scott was rather a sweetie to take Dennis out on a li'l bromantic spear fishing "date". Scott W is probably my #1 fave on the show of the alums arrived so far (with Tom a close 2nd & Kara &Maricela tying for 3rd) which is why I'll be beyond peeved if he succumbs to the vapid charms of Jessica. Ugh. Scott W. is such my fave that I've bothered to remember his differentiating last initial. I keep forgetting ClassclownScott's last initial, hence his becoming "ClassclownScott". And the other Scott, even though the show calls him "The Loner" I am opting to christen him "NondescriptScott" My feeling is, that if you're a Scott, in a class of about 9,000 Scotts, you should perhaps try to bring a li'l somethin' to the table personality-wise , y'know? So yeeeah, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the guy.And even though Kara said what a great, nice, fun date she had with him (they all gush about how terrif their snoozy-seeming dates are, don't they? With the exception of Dennis & Scott W, that is) she was probably underwhelmed too. To be fair, I'm sure it was tough for the poor schlub to convey any strong sense of his character when his date keeps nattering on about her ex-hubby (tsk, tsk! that's an OBVIOUS no-no, Kara!)

Lastly, how 'bout that classic cliffhangery ending? Don't tell me they didn't plan that!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES...

Monday night I caught the premier of the Barry Gibb Talk Show--er , uh, I mean Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. I always adored Jimmy back in his SNL days. Then he left, did a movie or two that I skipped, and I kinda forgot about him. I was stoked to hear he was returning to TV. But even as overly merciful as I am, I thought it was BAD. It's understandable to be nervous for your first show, I get that, but the fact remains that it was a bit painful to watch. It was first show nerves + him being starstruck by DeNiro equalling the MEGANERVOUSNESS that pervaded the show. Now, there weren't continual rivulets of perspiration streaming from Jimmy's hairline but if there had been they would have fit right in with his demeanor . I mean, the nervousness was so huge and obvious that it made you squirm with empathetic nervousness. So, in summation : bad. But I was relieved in a way, because it resolved my inner turmoil over whether I would keep tuning in to Craig Ferguson (whom I love) or if I would become a Fallon viewer.

The one thing I did LOVE about Fallon's debut show (and I type that LOVE in all caps because I loved it so) was Justin Timberlake's appearance on it and his impressions right near the end of the show. Particularly him doing Michael McDonald singing a Bud Light with lime jingle. There just should be MORE Michael McDonald impressions in the general realm of impressionism I say.

Anyways, I happened to flip onto Fallon's show last night and ZOINKS!! Something really clicked for him at some point between Show #1 and Show #3 (could possibly have clicked during Show #2--I dunno, I missed that one) His Wednesday show was really, really good. So now I do have the Ferguson vs. Fallon dilemma, but of course the sensible answer is fucking go to bed before Letterman because I never get enough sleep!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
AND ABOUT TV I'M *NOT* WATCHING--

I just have to kvetch that it *kills* me that the long awaited second season of Flight of the Conchords is running right now on HBO and I (with the super economy pirate deal I get on cable) am incapable of watching it. And o' course, those HBO bastards are stingy with their programming--no freebies on Hulu and no full episodes offered on their website either. BAH. Now, the songs from every new episode are being released on iTunes right after the episode airs, but as for actual episodes for download, they only have Season 1 available...which I already have on DVD. So I reiterate: BAAHH.

No comments: