Thursday, August 03, 2006

Boob Tubage

I never did catch Rock Star INXS the other night. Even worse, I missed Last Comic Standing. That's why I solemnly vowed that I WOULD catch Project Runway--may God strike out my parents' cat's left eye if I went back on my word. Seriously, that was the terms of my solemn vow. If you make a vow and don't stake anything, you're just half-assing it. So anyways, I did watch Project Runway (Kermit is purring the purr of immense relief, lemme tell ya) and here be my 2 or 3 cents on the episode--
Bradley-Bonnie-Uli :
*Uli—must have been SOOO thrilled & thankful to have immunity.Good poker face, girl, and congrats on suppressing the happy little jig you were wanting to dance
*Bradley—I love Bradley. I’m not entirely convinced of his talent but…I just love him. He reminds me a bit of the dog he had to dress in challenge 3—scruffily cute, sweet natured
*Bonnie—I’m glad she’s gone. She so distracted me with her fickle hairdo. I didn’t know whenever she made an appearance if it was going to be ironed-smooth hair Bonnie or kinked up and crispy haired Bonnie? Ha ha, sorry that was mucho catty. Truly, I thought she did NOT deserve elimination. Her outfit mighta been a little outdated but it wasn’t nearly as horrid as the monstrosity that Robert created (slit up to the—as Vera W. charmingly put it—“fanny” and engulfed by a dumpy Hefty Cinch Sack raincoat—bleeccch!)
Why then, was Bonnie unjustly eliminated?? Was it more karmic retribution like last week’s elimination? (Katherine was unappreciative of sweet Malan and got hers. And Bonnie was slightly offensive to sweet Bradley this ep…) Or (and this is more likely) was Bonnie just too slow to assert a real charismatic persona? I mean, Robert’s already got his niche (Nick II) so isn’t he just better TV???
Robert-Vincent-Kayne--
As for the shoulda been losing team...
*Vincent-- I was sort of appalled by his "blindly-follow-the-leader" policy. Maybe it's because he's an older guy ... could be that an utter obedience to authority was just more drilled into his make-up as a young Vin. But I did NOT expect such submission from...
*Kayne-- Since when does he have trouble opining? Maybe they perceived it as "supportiveness", but K&V, definitely didn't do Robert any favors by keeping their lips zipped. And while I'm yammering on about Kayne, I just hafta say that he's getting to be sort of a pain in the arse. I certainly don't object to him narcing on Keith, but his b*tchy "Do you see that you brought this on yourself??" comment was too much. What is he-- Keith's mom? On the other hand, I LOVED Laura's confessional --"Keith-- what an a**hole. I'm glad he's gone" So I guess b*tchy is alright by me...just not preachy-b*tchy.
*Robert-- Lucked out. He shoulda been booted. Outfit was shockingly barfy--and his sketches had been so terrif. More than just a crap outfit, this was crappy teamwork (or edited to appear that way?? I am soo cynical...) It was not so much a design team as a dictatorship. Which is weird, because Robert sooo doesn't seem like a control-freak tyrant who can't take a suggestion. Also (warning: more catty snarking) I'm waiting for Robert to integrate one of his beloved tightie tank tops into one of his designs. I think he'll find they look even better on the ladies. Probably he just wears 'em around the house for comfort's sake but --oy! Everytime I see a guy in one of those tanks I'm expecting to see a Schwinn nearby (possibly a barbell).
Keith-Jeffrey-Allison-
*Jeffrey-- It's funny that he found Keith so detestable, because for the first couple of episodes I found Keith & Jeffrey to be nearly interchangeable. I mean, they woulda been totally interchangeable if it weren't for that GINORMOUS neck tattoo. But anyhow, J seemed a bit less scary to me in this ep...cooler, more human. I'm warmin' up to him...
*Keith-- Took his dishonorable discharge really well. I mean, he said some sorta bizarro things in his final confessional-- "The worst thing is I didn't even use the books" which I guess is very honestly unremorseful. And then his "I had some more tricks up my sleeve"..that made me chuckle. But weird remarks aside, he was very chill about the whole thing. It would've been pretty plausible for him to be p*ssed..particularly at the informants...but he was civil in his departure and apologized to everybody. I think maybe that's why Kayne's snotty self righteous comment struck me as especially irksome.
Angela--Michael-Laura--
This was the model of teamwork that the V-K&R group shoulda aspired to. See, for example, how Michael & Laura reigned in A's rosette mania. Of course, Angela was pretty hungry for guidance...
*Michael Knight-- I am only disappointed that no one's made a talking car joke yet. Too bad there is no Santino around-- you can bet he wouldn't pass up such an opportunity.
*Angela-- The outfit was very cute and I think it was a fair victory. It was cute how stoked Angela was with the win. Yeah, I'm sure she knows how out of her league she is, but geeez, I can't blame her for wishing all the others would quit dumping on her. Why don't they dump on Vincent instead (or as well)? He's every bit as loopy...
Two other disappointments-- Michael Kors is back next week. I got accustomed to having Vera Wang on the judges panel. I liked her. She said "fanny". Also it was nice (for a while) to have just one judge who was not trying to rip the contestants' hearts out.
I was also displeased with Tim Gunn's little plug for the Saturn Roadster. Where was it he went? A monastery? An abbey? Whatev! He should've picked up Andrae and made haste for the nearest Red Lobster.

Aside from PR, I was also tuned in to MTV Hits. On the free preview channel, like I toldja a few posts back. Except...I dunno why I'm still getting it. I generally get a different channel on 99 every week but the MTV Hits preview is goin' on 2wks now. Maybe it's because of MTV's birthday. Actual MTV is completely ignoring its 25th. I remember they made a big fat deal about their 20th but for the 25th I've heard nary a mention. Why??? Is MTV ashamed? It's now too old for its own target demographic, is that it??
Anywhooo, I gotta tell you about some of the vids I've caught recently...
Finally caught Justin Timberlake's new video "Sexyback". So it's more like his audition to be the new 007, right? Silly JT. Don't he know he's at least 15 yrs too young? Maybe he thought they were doing like a James Bond Jr -type prequel or something. Anyways I dug the song. I think it will take a few more viewings for me to comprehend what's going on plot-wise in that vid...
I am lukewarm on Christina Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man" (it's good, yet nothing I would spend $$ on) but I just love that 30s era aesthetic in that video. I also love how she's arisen, Phoenix-like from the miasma of skank that was "Dirrrrty" and is now very classily sexy. I don't think that classy is meant to be an adverb, but I'm forging ahead, people. It's sort of like her revenge on Brit (revenge for what? Well, for one-Britney inexplicably got the better, tongue-ier smooch from Madonna that time on the MTV music awards) Now C's the stylin' one, married to a respectable guy who doesn't burden the public with his overt skeeziness or bizarro Portugese rap songs. And Britney--oy, don't get me started..
The video for Panic! at the Disco's "I Write Sins not Tragedies" is MAAAAARVELOUS. I like that song-- it's the only 1 of theirs I know, really. But I think, merely by perusing the back of their CD (onetimeatBestBuy) that I like them lots... all their song names are at least 1/2 a sentence long. They seem to be a particularly verbose group of fellows and I happen to value verbosity (AS IF YOU COULDN'T TELL!). I hadn't seen their vid previously, and it blew me away.
Did you know that Alan "Jason Seaver" Thicke has a male spawn, one who is out there on the airwaves "chasin' the dream"? Robin Thicke has a song-- I presume it be his first single...I mean the dude has prior albums (I did some amazon.com research) but this is the first I've heard of him so any previous singles hardly count. Anyways it's called "Wanna Love You Girl" and it's awfully repetitive and more or less CRAP. If it weren't for the Pharrell cameo, I'd think it was the 2nd coming of Color Me Badd. But I can't be too disdainful of li'l Robin-- first off he collaborated with my boy Pharrell so he's got a smidge of the blessed Pharrell taint on him. Also, he is very visibly his father's son. He totally has a Jason Seaver schnozz and the same shape hair (and I didn't think coiffures were genetically passed on) and I find that strangely endearing.

No comments: