Wednesday, February 25, 2009

So after Ash Wednesday mass and an hour of babysitting my niecies, I vegged out in front of the telly (nothing too unusual there, I know)

I watched about ½ of VH1’s “Black to the Future” 80s edition. I must say, I was peeved that everyone (unanimously) was so disparaging of Eddie Murphy’s “Party all the Time”. Maybe that overall album is a joke (I haven’t heard the whole thing) but that single rules!! I love that song, dude!! ‘Salright... I’m used to the universe disagreeing with me in matters of taste. I’m also very fond of “I’m too Sexy” by Right Said Fred.
This inspires an impromptu poll—
(Fill in the blank) If loving _______________ is wrong, then I don’t wanna be right!

Honest answers please, this is not a Mad Libs.

Speaking of guilty pleasures, I also tuned in to the 2nd eppy of High School Reunion. I hope this show flourishes and becomes like a giant in the field of reality TV , so that it's renewed for another season, more seasons, umpteen seasons, ad infinitum (a la Survivor) so that in 2015 my class just might be able have a televised 20th reunion in Hawaii. I wonder what they would call me in the opening credits?? Hmmm..“The Smartass” maybe… I did get “wittiest” in the senior year yearbook superlatives …but of course, by “wittiest” they meant smartassiest. I would hafta drop some lbs, I’m sure—it seems a prerequisite for ladies on that show to be game for beau coup cavorting in bikinis. Of course, the men alums can be fat as rhinos.

Anyways, big drama arrived at the compound with the arrival of Dennis (the menace—ha ha). Manny came with him, but he proved to be harmlessly mischevious and not a drunken terror like his cohort. Dennis, I regret to say, was pretty hot in high school. ‘Tis more the shame that he grew up into a total d-bag. Although, the rest of the alumni handled him all wrong. When faced with a drunken ass 9 times outta 10 your best course of action is--- DO NOT ENGAGE. Oh, and there was another arrival, Lynette. She was fairly unexceptional, and therefore totally overshadowed by fellow new arrivals Dennis & Manny. So I will say this for her (some small recompense): she has rather nice hair.


I'm still undecided about Jessica. Well, I'm totally certain that she is a vapid airhead. But I've yet to ascertain if she is good or evil. She was pretty noble in her conversation with Kara, and then looked as if she was going to take the noble route vis a vis Scott & Marciela, but then near the end of the episode she was all "she (Marciela) is going to have some fierce competition!!" RRrrar. Oh also-- she's on crush #2 in as many days. That's annoying.

About Scott & Marciela-- I woulda judged that match-up a failure... if it weren't for them always talking about how terrificly they're "clicking", and how nice it is that they're making such a swell connection, and what awesome vibes they're feeling. I dunno, maybe I'm a romantic, but I'm suspicious that there's actual awesome chemistry betwixt a duo that natters on constantly about their awesome chemistry. But maybe... I dunno. I do like Scott W though. Although I gotta say...there are too many frickin' SCOTTS in this group. They need to start utilizing nicknames.

I was predisposed to like Liz. I was thinking she was like this season's Cheryl. Cheryl was my absolute fave from season 1-- even though she was kind of on the periphery and didn't get embroiled in any big DRAMA. Probably that's why I liked her. I still like Liz, I suppose, but she's beginning to grate on my nerves with her all consuming Jenny-hatin'. Jenny totally seems like she deserves it, and I'm sure she inspires it, but is she worth it? I don't think so . It makes Liz into a rather pathetic character, either eye-rolling or sulking all the time. I would like her to either :a)confront Jenny and purge all that resentment out of her system OR b) cowboy the f*** up.

I wonder what this huge shocker secret is that they keep hyping. I believe they actually used the phrase "HUGE MIND-BLOWING SECRET" verbatim. It never winds up being all that shocking when it's made into such a big fat deal in the promos. When you hear "huge mind-blowing secret" at the outset, you dream up the biggest and most sensational secrets possible--
Tyrone was abducted by aliens about 7 years ago and the "Tyrone" attending this 20 yr reunion is an E.T.-crafted Tyrone clone.
ORRrrr...
Liz shot Biggie Smalls!!

And so, with such hypotheses pinging about your noggin, the actual secret is bound to disappoint. The previews for next week's show mention that "Scott W.’s hall pass choice shocks the class!!" Maybe Scott W. is gay. Wouldn't that piss off half the reunion crew??

1 comment:

Kara said...

OK.. Party All the Time is like.. the happiest and greatest song ever. I adore it, no matter what anyone says.

I too watched High School REunion and I'm slowly getting sucked in.. I like Scott W. too and omg.. you don't really think he's gay do you!? I thought it was the cowboy who'd be gay...