Wednesday, February 11, 2009

palabra jot!!

I used to watch PBS all day when I stayed home sick from school as a wee Sanny. I had this Claymation-ish grasshopper and a mantra of "Palabra jot!!" resounding in my head from those sick days of yore, but the memories were so hazy, plus *no one* knew what I was referring to when ranting about the grasshopper & his "Palabra Jot" chanting so I was starting to doubt myself...suspect that I'd had fever-induced hallucinations.


But thank God for YouTube...






Now I just need someone to download clips of "ReadIt with John Robbins" and I'll be all set. I just remember an opening sequence of animated froggies croaking "RRrread It!" and brief glimpses of John Robbins with his way dark moustache and he would draw charcoal etchings of a story while he read it. OK, so, it doesn't sound monstrously exciting, but it would give me the nostalgic warm fuzzies to see it again.


I also used to watch Slim Goodbody , but I'd just as soon forget that whackadoo.


In my rooting around I found Rick's TVO Kids Shows page ..which specifically looks at TV Ontario children's programming, but come to find out, US PBS& Canadian PBS shared a few kiddie shows. Some of those screen caps from All About You with Louise McNamara looked vaguely familiar...

Yeeaah, I would guess this particular episode stuck with me because the plastic mutilated torso character there freaked me right the hell out...

6 comments:

Leslie said...

So I'm not the only one with memories of Palabra Jot that gets crazy looks from others? LOL I even joined their club if I remember it all right and I think they would start a story and you could tell how you would end it and send it in. I was googling it tonight and came across your blog. Thanks for posing the You Tube video!

Leslie said...

Okay, I'm back after watching the video. :) I also finished reading your blog post. I also watched Slim Goodbody as well as Picture Pages with Bill Cosby. LOL

Anonymous said...

This is not the first I have Googled Palabra Jot due to the same concerns about whether I made it all up or my memory had warped things over time. Like you, I have the phrase run through my mind at random times thanks to all that repetition. Luckily this time I ran into your blog post; I appreciate the confirmation that I'm not crazy! ;)
We were big fans of Picture Pages ... and confused by Slim Goodbody too.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing. Here I am 33 years old and I still say that to myself!!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSMPPb91eI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:-)~

Sandra said...

Thanks for the link!! Methinks I've left that post broken for a while now. I've fixed it now :) I also got poking around related videos on YouTube and I did find something with John Robbins in it (yay!) I used to be mesmerized by him as a young 'un!!
Scope it out--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1xa6vzInC8&list=UUcH0Y_K14DoevLksCHUBOZQ&index=32&feature=plcp