Thursday, June 05, 2008

News of the Banal & Superficial Variety..

Oh yes, I’m going to regale you with last night’s shopping exploits. If you don’t have a hat to hold on to, get ahold of your socks lest they be knocked off. If perchance, you are going hatless and shoeless today, then you should be just fine…

My first stop was Newbury Comics . I used to get the Newbury Comics newsletter emailed to my work email (@ the old job) but now I am not getting the newsletter, and I don’t miss the coupons or anything or all the yammerin’ about new releases but I miss knowing about what's up for grabs in the way of free pint glasses. Now THAT is a nuisance--- to have to actually ask. Anyways, at Newbury I almost bought this funny gift box, but ultimately decided that $5 was too much for me to shill out for a novelty gift box. Although it still does amuse me. I probably woulda bought it had it not been for the fact that I had an armload of frivolous purchases and somethin' had to be cut. I ended up buying bobby pins with cute li'l animal embellishments, and the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's (decided it's nuts that I don't own that already) and Volume 5 of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K to geeks in the know)

After that, I strolled over to TJ Maxx. Laura had told me they were undergoing renovations but WOOOOAH doggy!! I was mucho impressed-o! I hadn't realized that my local TJ Maxx was such a wretched dump until it got a fabulous makeover. I guess I just loved her too much to take note of her flaws. Yes, TJ Maxx is a girl . You didn't know that? The TJ stands for Theresa Jane. EVERYBODY knows that, fool...

One of TJ's myriad improvements is a totally rennovated dressing room. In the dressing room, the hall has mirrors all the way down it, yet the individual stalls don't have mirrors in them at all. At first I thought-- well that sucks: you have to come out and twirl& parade in front of all the other shopping schlubs... On the other hand, there are a few advantages to that set-up. I mean, sometimes you'll try on something and you know it looks horrid, you can just feel it clinging to your person in an unbecoming manner. So in these instances, you don't really need to check yourself out in a mirror to know that you're not going to be buying that blouse/sweater/whatev. You might not really want to check yourself out in the mirror, for that matter...

Also, the mirrorless stalls eliminate those shocking moments of "BWWAAAGH!" when you're standing, pantless, and fussing over getting an item back onto the hanger just so and you chance to glimpse your ass in the mirror. ..

I find myself wanting to procure some aviator shades. (pardon my utter lack of segue, kids) I've been on a bit of a sunglasses-purchasing binge since getting contacts, but of the 4 pairs I have (4 pairs is not waaay excessive, right??) I don't have any aviator style. And that style is kinda cool and badass and although they usually don't look very good on me, there was a gold pair at TJ that actually looked pretty fly. But they had a bent bow, so I couldn't bring myself to buy 'em. Heeeyy..just found that I could order aviators off this site for a meager $250. Jinkies, it's a bit kooky to pay $250 for shades but it's UTTER MADNESS to pay that much and order 'em online where you can't even try them on first!! What I did buy was some clothes for work-- a green jacket (only $7 on clearance) a brown shirt and a black& white striped tee (which, paired with a cape & hamburger motif necktie, would achieve an exquisite look methinks ...)also these shoes. I was admiring their wondrous variety of flip-flops because..OH how I love flip flops.. but I bought the wedges instead, because I've been wanting, lately, to amass shoes w/ some heel height. I just had this epiphany where I realized. . . I'm (*$#%ing short. Plus, heels make your calves look foxy if you are wearing a skirt or capris. And I've been wanting to kinda dress up for work lately (it's a new job...I'm sure that impulse will fade away any day now) So that's been my purchasing kick these days: buying heels and/or dresses.

No comments: