Monday, June 09, 2008

highlights of this past fin de semana

Well, first off, I lost my paycheck on Friday. Perhaps I shouldn't mention that under the "weekend highlights" heading, but it was certainly a memorable part of my weekend. Aforesaid paycheck was handed to me on Thursday and I looked at it and said to meself "Wooah..this is a CHECK, not just a stub. Gotta put this where I won't lose it" I did put in for Direct Deposit, mind you, but that apparently doesn't kick in until pay cycle dos. Anyways, resolving to oneself "I'm going to put this somewheres where I shan't lose it" virtually guarantees that you're gonna lose the mo' fo. I shoulda never thought that thought. But it didn't then occur to me that I'd just jinxed my ass and I remember slipping the check into the front pocket of my purse. If I had gone to cash it that afternoon I probably woulda been golden (grahams) , but no, I held off until Friday. Then Fri, as soon as I got outta work, I headed right to my bank. It wasn’t until I had my purse hoisted up on the “prep island” in the bank lobby that I realized my check was MIA. I ransacked my purse 3 times (twice right there in the lobby, which was rather embarrassing) , searched my car and then I even went back to work to see if it was under my desk (in the area where I stow my purse). NO DICE. I had to call payroll this a.m. to get a stop-payment & reissue.
Saturday… what does one do with their weekend when they are virtually penniless?? Well, on Sat, I went to my parents’ house and I’d intended to lay outside, catch some rays, read my book, and listen to my iPod (this is the book I’m currently reading) but my dad’s Saturday plan was to mow the lawn and I woulda felt mucho guilt if I lay like a sun-absorbing lump and read while my 70 yr old father mowed the lawn. So, I mowed the lawn and after a bit, my parents headed out shopping. This was good, because it’s my opinion that the most strenuous part of mowing does not stem from the physical exertion or blazing heat but rather from my father inspecting the job I do as I do it and pointing out where I f*cked up. So I gave them a list of stuff to get at the store and when they returned with my requested ingredients, I left off mowing for cooking (waay more my forte) and for dinner I improvised a veggie rotini creamy garlic pasta that was MAGNIFICO. I especially impressed myself since I had no recipe and totally adlibbed it. I know I’m being immodestly self-congratulatory about it, but I gotta be. Chances are, I’ll never be able to successfully duplicate it. Gotta pat myself on the back now or never, y’know??
Sunday I went to Lake Sunapee with Laura and ¾ of the muffins (Chloe opted to hang out with my parents instead) I had a nice day (got in that reading and vegetating that I’d been after the day before) other than this awful sunburn I got on my legs. I was not completely irresponsible, I should mention. I actually put 30 spf spray sunscreen on the moment we got there . However, I rolled up my to-the-knee length shorts (Bermuda length? Would those be “Bermuda shorts”? I’m not sure…) when I waded into the water and then I didn’t roll ‘em back down when I went back to lounging in the sun. So my sunburn is contained to just the top of my thigh, but ‘tis a nasty one just the same.

Everybody in the office has been grousing about this hot weather, but I rather like it. I don’t look like I’d be a fan of hot weather, but I actually am. I mean, I don’t even think it hot enough for swimming until we get into high 80s territory..but then on those days, how totally blissful is a swim (I say “swim” but it’s not like I swim laps or anything. I’m more apt to float on my back like…ohhh… I dunno... an otter, maybe? I think otters do that…when they’re not rehearsing with their jug bands, that is) I don’t think we get nearly enough of that full-on summery summer weather in VT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Move to Arizona. You get more of those hot days in the desert.
- P